RNY vrs DS trying to decide

carebearsuzzan
on 8/19/11 5:16 pm - CA
Thanks SUE  I sure will.... love n trust DR CRookes just dont want go with his first choice lol.. god bless thanks again
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 10:04 pm
carebearsuzzan
on 8/20/11 12:11 am - CA
Thank you guys for you imput I do have 3 kids ages 4-15 to come home to:) I do have faith in my Surgeon and hear great things about him as well. plus no program fee, I am scared bc I was told the RNy was easier on my bodie and way faster healing however, I have desided to persue the DS.Thank you thank you al xs a million
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/20/11 12:45 am - Tuvalu
On August 20, 2011 at 5:04 AM Pacific Time, Seeking Healthy wrote:
 I was one of those "misrable" RNY folks that Sue mentioned...   No way, no how would I recommend the RNY to anyone, even my worst enemy.  I have lived both life's  and DS far out weighs the RNY in EVERY way.

Do it right the first time so you are not looking at a revision down the road.     

P.S.  Keshishian was my surgeon.  I traveled across country to go to him.  You can't go wrong there...He's an excellent cutter and knows his stuff.

You need some better enemies.

I have some I'd wish a Band Over Bypass on.
(deactivated member)
on 8/20/11 5:51 am
larra
on 8/20/11 12:16 am - bay area, CA
    It sounds like you DO know what you want and why. It's true that RNY is better for GERD than DS. But it's also true that most GERD is very treatable with the good meds that are available these days, and that GERD also improves for many people with weight loss. One of the first things a pcp tells an overweight patient with GERD is that they need to lose weight, right?
      The bigtime problems with GERD are more associated with lap band, which can make GERD much, much worse, and with sleeve as a stand alone, because surgeons are making these sleever narrower and tighter than they are doing for the DS.
     I've never met Dr. Crookes, but he's a well regarded surgeon, really does do the DS, and his patients seem to love him. If you are already set up with him, just stay firm about what you want and why, and I think he'll do your DS for you, and do it well.

Larra

PS - I take one prilosec a day andit controls all GERD symptoms. I have about the same degree of GERD now as I had before my DS. It was worse for awhile right after the surgery, but then settled back down. I would never have let GERD dictate my choice of surgeries, as RNY was unacceptable to me for so very many much bigger reasons.
beemerbeeper
on 8/20/11 12:39 am - AL
You do not and should not "figure this out by Monday."  This is the rest of your life you are talking about.  I wouldn't buy a car that fast.  Tell them to hold your paperwor****il YOU decide.

And ask him if your GERD will come back if you have a regain like so many RnYers do.

Really please slow down and take your time.  Another two weeks in the scheme of things is NOTHING.  You can spend those two weeks reading about the DS and the RNY.  There was just a study posted today about why the RnY doesn't work.  Maybe you should take that to the surgeon?

Have you read all my links that I give to folks who can't decide?

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4391498/RNY-insulin-carbs-we ight-regain-Articles/#36305662

www.dssurgery.com/procedures/compare-surgical-procedures.php

www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4416755/Must-Read-Transcript-o f-Dr-Roslins-Presentation-to-ASMBS-on/

But my final thought is that if you will let a surgeon or his office push you into making a decision on their time line then maybe you don't have what it takes to live with a DS.  Because you will have to be proactive about caring for your health, getting your labs and demanding what you need from medical folks for the rest of your life.  If you are uncomfortable telling this surgeon that you need more time to decide then maybe the RnY is best for you.

Good luck wigth whatever you decide!!!

~Becky

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/20/11 1:45 am
I'm pre-op but I have definitely heard of Dr. Crookes (I'm here in So Cal as well).  There are a few here on the DS board *****ally love him and think he does a great job.  But as mentioned before, it seems like you have to "convince" him to do the surgery.  Bookfaerie went to him before getting the DS from Kaiser and she said he'd agreed to do the DS but only after a bit of persuasion (and she's quite persuasive).  I've heard GREAT things about Keshishian but he charges  $3000 fee that isn't covered by insurance so that has to be taken into account.  Of course money shouldn't make or break your decision if you're choosing between a competent or incompetent surgeon--but I'm pretty certain that there isn't anyone who'd have a bad word to say about Crookes's surgical abilities.  If you're happy with him and you feel secure in your decision to have the DS, then I'd stick with him.  He'd probably be my next choice if I could get out of Kaiser but I'm stuck.

Best of luck! Oh, and don't let anyone' s candor here on the board dissuade you from coming back to ask questions.  Many of the veterans here are very blunt and just want to give good advice.  Nothing is cushioned or softened--but you'll get the real **** on this surgery and you'll learn that they ONLY want what's best for everyone.  The DS board gets a bad rap but it's really a terrific place to get great information.  I love it here.

Take care!

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

Psyche
on 8/20/11 3:36 am
I had severe GERD pre-DS that did not respond to medication. Guess what I do not have post-DS? I have to take an acid blocker daily, but it's no big deal. Pre-DS that acid blocker did nothing for me.
SW 280 / GW 150 / CW 128.8

Reconstructive surgery, under construction!

Lower Body Lift - 12/14/2011 - Atlanta VA Medical Center
Brachioplasty & Mastopexy w/Augmentation - 03/14/2012 - Dr Marisa Lawrence

carebearsuzzan
on 8/20/11 4:06 am - CA

great thank you I am going to print some storys out and take them to my surgeon and see what he says..  im excited bcI really wanted  The DS , and know so much more about it then the RNY.. I am 100 percent sure I want the DS!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics