anyone in here have GERD pre-op?

carebearsuzzan
on 8/19/11 12:05 pm - CA

Really bummed~ I was researching DS for past 4 month bc a family member had the DS and is doing AmAzInG ~ I really wanted it~ went to my surgeons office on the 17th and he said I have GERD pretty bad and he was recomending the RNY.. I am 414 lbs and 6ft tall and afraid to have the RNY fail, n I dont lose enough or simply regain weight, I want to make the right choice for me, he dint say it was out of the question he just said he is recomending the RNY any thoughts on this????

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/19/11 12:12 pm
I don't think you'd be any better off with an RNY. Others will chime in, but from what I've read from people experiences, the DS doesn't neccessarily guarantee the GERD will get worse. Some have said the DS improved their GERD, some found it to be the same, some found it got worse. Some who didn't have GERD pre op, got it post op. Mixed bag, no way to tell.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Heather E.
on 8/19/11 3:54 pm
I had bad GERD as a pre-op, and I still have GERD as a post-op.  I don't think it has gotten any better or worse.  I still take a Prilosec every morning like it's my job or else I will be miserable all day long.  Sometimes I will take a Zantac later in the day, which was recommended to me by an ER physician after I went in for a really bad gastritis attack.  GERD is completely manageable, and I wouldn't let having it be the determining factor for what surgery you choose.  Given your current weight, I wouldn't recommend an RNY at all, but that is my personal opinion.

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 4:03 pm - San Jose, CA
As I said to someone else tonight, HELL NO I would not have had the RNY because of GERD.  I had it before my DS, I have it now, 8 years later.  I take Protonix twice a day, without fail.  I almost never have any symptoms.
newyorkbitch
on 8/19/11 9:37 pm
I had GERD for years pre-op.  DS didn't change that,  I have taken prilosec daily for many years to control it,  no problems.

Don't let the GERD stop you.
southernlady5464
on 8/19/11 4:42 pm
I also had GERD as a pre-op, for over 10 years. I had been managing it with a PPI.

I also had other issues that trumped the GERD card such as the need for NSAIDs after surgery. And my diabetes.

My GERD has definitely turn for the better, since surgery.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MsBatt
on 8/20/11 4:42 am
My GERD has been completely gone since my DS nearly eight years ago. BUT---eight years ago, the trend was for larger sleeves than most are doing now, and this *might* be a factor. Back then, I just NEVER saw anyone have a stricture, either, but those too are more common with the new, smaller sleeves.
zcadden
on 8/20/11 8:22 pm - New Orleans, LA
Had GERD for years pre-DS...haven't taken a PPI or H2 Blocker in over a year post-op.  YMMV...don't let them stop you.  Every day I am reminded how much I love my DS.

D U S T I N  

SW/BMI: 303#/50.4    CW/BMI: 162#/26.9 

Start your Journey @ DSFacts.com

Catnip
on 8/21/11 12:19 am - Ottawa, Canada
 My Gerd has gotten worse since my Ds.  But it is manageable and since you are taking supplements everyday with either surgery, What is one more pill?

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Band to DS
on 8/21/11 12:49 am, edited 2/3/12 10:44 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Most Active
15 Years Post-op with Plastics
Lisey · 0 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
15 Years Post-op with Plastics
Lisey · 0 replies · 84 views
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 151 views
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 6 replies · 787 views