Not for the Faint of Fart, yes Fart

Imissthe80s
on 8/20/11 7:28 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
 "Rogue fart." Yes! Love it.  I guess I should ask how long these farting episodes last, 2-4 hours?

Elizabeth N.
on 8/20/11 7:42 am - Burlington County, NJ
It varies. The evil huckleberry milkshake caused about an hour and a half of horrible misery and 8-10 hours of stench. The nectarine will cause issues until the last shred of skin is shed. That can take a while.

But those are really bad offenders. If I want some pasta for dinner, I can be confident that I'll be okay the next day. Some people get it faster than I do. Most of the time it takes at least four hours to hit me, with the evil milkshake being one of a very few exceptions to that rule.

HOWEVER THIS IS AN ENTIRELY INDIVIDUAL THING!!!!

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/21/11 6:07 am
Anyone seen this fart compilation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX4cGhQW5Ec

family guy fans will appreciate it :)
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

gak
on 8/19/11 11:34 am
Revision on 06/21/13
This is one of those things that YMMV (your mileage may vary)

I found gas was worse during the weight loss period when I was losing the fastest.. Once things sort of stabilize somewhat you can learn what gives you gas and what does not. Then you can control it by why you eat. You can also learn if I eat something that gives me gas. I know that in a certain time frame gas will hit or I need a bathroom. It becomes like clockwork for the most part.

I have never had accidents, etc as some has spoken about. I have had a few horrid gas events and it was my own fault. I have learned what gives me gas and as long as I stay away little to no gas.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

NoreenRT
on 8/19/11 11:36 am - Warner Robins, GA
in my experience, it's not like you take a bite of some cake and commence to tooting.  it takes me 2 - 4 hours or more before an overload of carby treats makes it's appearance as a stinky fart.   the rumbly grumbly tummy noises come first.
i usually plan my cake/cookie  for the last part of the evening, then stink up the car on the way home.
btw, early out, i could peel the wallpaper off the walls with my farts.  once, i farted in my car all the way home on a 45 minute ride.  the next morning hubs and i got in the car and it still stunk.  no kidding.  i laughed so hard, i thought i would pee myself.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/19/11 11:45 am
I consider the stinky post-op gas to be a blessing, it's one heck of  a weapon! Otherwise the gas I'm packing gets reserved for the nearest bathroom should I get the urge.

I work in an office with a few prissy *****es who think their **** don't stank, and we share a small bathroom. Anyway, I got a spray bottle of orange oil air freshener, spritz it around and it covers farts and BMs up rather well. I've never had any of those girls at work say anything after I go to the bathroom and leave a deposit. They don't even give me a funny look, so I guess they don't smell it when I'm done with my business. So I don't sweat it. However I can't resist farting around my husband now.. revenge...
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

buffalobillsfan
on 8/19/11 12:28 pm - CA
Being a foodie, food addict, food lover or whatever you want to call it, I was NEVER turned off by carbs after surgery.  I kept it to a minimum as long as I could and suffered the consequences willingly.  Sometimes it's just gas but if I have sugar/flour combos like cake or cookies, I can be up all night going to the bathroom or having horrible gas.  I also didn't work for almost a year after surgery so I didn't have to be too good.

If I go to a special event or on vacation I want to eat all forbidden items.  This is not good.  I got all dressed up for a wedding after I had lost 120 lbs and I felt great.  My husband had never seen me so dressed up and thin.  I had 1/2 of a White Russian and a piece of cake for dessert.  I was so sick and uncomfortable I ended up in our hotel room in pain pacing the floor.  No dancing, no ****** no showing off my new bod.  It is one of those things that does vary person to person but the majority of us do suffer from some carb like products.  I can hold in the gas but my stomach will expand greatly and I look pregnant.  Not pretty.  Also, I find if you hold in the gas, it's coming out whether you like it or not EVENTUALLY and it's bringing a whole bunch of **** with it.  It's harder to control then.   

This desire to eat forbidden foods might never go away for me.  I still parttake in them when I go on vacation and ruin some aspect of our trip.  Would I give up my DS?  NEVER!!!  I had this problem fat but I prefer it skinny.   I'd rather work on my food issues in a thin body.  I hope this helps. 

Cheers,
Cathy

Elizabeth N.
on 8/19/11 4:50 pm - Burlington County, NJ
For some people, the sensitivities can indeed be that bad. Did I tell the whole gory story of the huckleberry milkshake debacle yet? UGH. Milkshakes are the fuel for weapons of mass destruction. Okay, so I avoid milkshakes for a year or two at a time, until I decide the craving just MUST be satisfied. And then I do the WMD thing and swear THIS TIME I WILL REMEMBER.

It will be a trial and error experience for you to learn which foods do what to you and to what degree. Examples from my life: Beer plus protein snack, fine. Beer plus anything carby, death stench in 2-3 hours. Certain white breads, most notably challah and sourdough = epic gas that night in my sleep. More than maybe half a dozen raspberries or blueberries or maybe four strawberries = wishing I'd just die and be done with it. Bananas, grapes and cantaloupe are fine.

I carry air freshener and essential oil of lemon with me in case I need to take a dump in public. Drop some essential oil in the bowl first thing, and then spray when finished. It's not perfectly odorless, but it's livable. People don't faint and fall bac kwards out of the restroom door. And I can promise you that I do a LOT more to minimize the odor issue in such a situation than just about anybody else I ever encounter in a restroom :-p.

Sometimes I have to exert considerable fart muscle control (is that the sphincter muscle?) to keep the gas in till I'm in a safer place. And once in a while it doesn't work. Out comes my handy dandy purse Ozium, and I go on with my life.

Amanda-DS
on 8/20/11 12:52 am
okay here is the reality we all fart, yes read that again we all fart
note I did not say all DSer's fart I said all!!!!!!!!

Mine stank before I come from a family of stinkers........methane producing......stink bombs.

Mine is worse after surgery if I have carbs or any DAIRY.........

So I try to be as polite as possible, hold them in, spray the bathroom after etc.

However I also have a wicked sense of humor

so for me these are "THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS"
what makes this surgery so successful is the malabsorption, so for goodness sake I am never going to bemoan it, worry about it, for God's sake if I did not have the malabsorption I would only be a VSG, I needed all the power of the DS to get me away from the land of SUPER MORBIDLY OBESE, SMO

MY three best weapons in life are:
1)  my husband thank god has a poor sense of smell
2&3)  my two dogs make much worse ones than mine----so at home I always blame a dog
Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

Julie R.
on 8/20/11 1:11 am - Ludington, MI
 I'm lucky too, my husband has a pretty bad sense of smell, which considering he's a chef, really isn't a good thing.   However, he does smell them enough to know when I've been on total carb overload, and will kindly say, "Honey - what the hell did you EAT today?"      My daughter is far less kind, and has a better sense of smell.   She'll say, "OMG, mom, you smell like a gorilla, geeeeezzzzz....have you no self control?   Can't you get a hotel room for the night?   Where's the air freshener?    Geezzz.....aren't there any fart police I can call?"    Damn dramatic teenagers....
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125