Not for the Faint of Fart, yes Fart

Imissthe80s
on 8/19/11 8:11 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
I've been thinking a lot about DS farts lately, how they are going to smell, and just generally imagining different fart scenarios.  Here's one: my friend is getting married next summer and I love wedding cake! Will I have to pass on the cake for fear of spicing up the reception with my toxic toosh?! Must I ALWAYS barricade myself in my home if I want to have a cookie? Will every granule of sugar (and sugar alcohols) light up my exhaust with potential fumes from Hell's Belly? My most crucial question here is whether or not this foul stench can be avoided altogether with a Probiotic or something? Or am I just stuck with my hellacious farts?

*No, this is not my most critical worry about the DS, but I thought after our very long week we could use some Friday Fun and maybe get some useful tips!

sherryatlarge
on 8/19/11 8:17 am - TX
You should be more worried that if you do fart that it is just a fart!!   And not something more.

How's that for friday fun.  (maybe useful too)
  I feel like I'm in a dream.        
Mel_Ga
on 8/19/11 8:33 am
I worried about this alot and have only been able to get my husband back one time, but it has only been a month:)

I also wonder how long this comes on for most people after they eat something carby? Does it ever wait till the next day or is it not long after ..?
kathy215
on 8/19/11 8:50 am
Sorry to say, Yes the farts can be WICKED.. the first say 4 months are the worst for the gas/farting.. It does get better and you will learn early enough to stay away from the foods that make you Fart like a man and the gas smell does get somewhat better. I HAVE to avoid cucumbers, Broks Pizza (LOVE IT), dreamfields pasta (OMG gives me such such stomach cramps and wicked gas) and alot of stuff with Sugar Alcohols ( I can have something with a little bit of sugar alcohols in), but if eat more than a Ritas sugar free water ice, watch out.. OMG

But, with that said, you should be able to have a little cake or cookie without difficulty.. I have no desire for sweets or bread at all.. I am 6 months out and do eat low carb wraps on occasion and a rare occasional piece of bread.

Good Luck
Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 8:58 am
I have no clue as I am pre-op but that was the funniest thing I have read this week
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/19/11 9:37 am
Unless you make it a habit fart with impunity on a regular basis and don't hold it for the bathroom, you won't have any problems with being a walking whoopie cushion with no bowel control.

Even if I eat something that gives me gas, it's not like I can't hold it for the bathroom.

You'll have to wait and see if cake gives you gas. It might not. No use worrying about it until you find out which foods puff you up like a fried poori... Poori don't give me gas either.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/19/11 10:09 am
"Like"
Sher--the bear mama

Sarah F.
on 8/19/11 10:35 am
I too am worried about this.
I keep reading and reading. Trying to learn everything I can. One can never be to prepared. I just wnat to finally lose the weight. If there is gas i guess i'll deal with it when it comes...
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/19/11 11:16 am
The DS won't turn you into an incontinent fart-machine. It's not that bad, seriously. Sure it will stink a bit more, but you'll be able to hold it for the bathroom. Just don't fart in public when there's people around and you'll be fine.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Elizabeth N.
on 8/20/11 1:26 am - Burlington County, NJ
If you become a fart machine, you need to get medical help and/or modify your diet. This alleviates the vast majority (though not 100%) of people's problems in this area.

I am recovering from the decision to eat a nectarine with the skin on. My fault entirely. Many candles are burning here this morning. But it will be done soon. When I have to be out in public, I don't eat that stuff at all and I have very few issues.

It's super rare that I can't hold a fart until a more appropriate setting. Once in a while something hidden in a food nabs me, and then I just do my best, spray my Ozium if needed and go on with life. Yeah, it's embarrassing, but it's far from the end of the world.

If I know I'm going to be in a position where a rogue fart is absolutely unacceptable, then I monitor my intake like a hawk starting a couple days earlier. NOTHING potentially risky passes my lips. I get the impression that your average thoughtful adult considers this stuff, too, like not eating beans the night before an important meeting, or not doing beer and peanuts before a big presentation. *shrug*