Bear and cheese soup

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 1:30 pm - Beverly, NJ
Since my surgery I have two new passions. 

Bacon and Cheese

So while on one of my favorite foodie sites I saw the blogger mention beer and cheese soup.  So I HAD to google it.  This is one of the recepies I found:

http://wefarm.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/cheese-soups/

So my question is, how can we make this lower carb?  Any ideas?  I know i can use a low carb beer. But what about the flour?  I want to try and make this tomorrow and sprinkle it with bacon. Doesn't that make you drool just thinking about it?  It's like mac and cheese without the noodles. 

KarenFlorida
on 8/19/11 1:47 pm - Orlando, FL
Mmm! I'm not creative enough to help you with the recipe, but I'll definitely be monitoring the responses!

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 1:52 pm - Beverly, NJ
LoL  See I'm not creative enough either. 
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 1:53 pm - Beverly, NJ
Also... since the beer is cooked and has no alcohol left in it will it be safe for my over working liver?
mirror_image
on 8/19/11 2:41 pm, edited 8/19/11 2:42 pm
1 lb. any cheese or combination- such as Gouda and swiss -shredded
2 T. corn starch (to thicken)

For your liquid you can use any one of several combinations:
1/2 c. chicken broth & 1/2 cup ale
1/2 c chicken broth & 1/2 c. hard apple cider
1/2 c. chicken broth & 1/2 cup white wine
you can also do !/2 cream or 1/2 &1/2 with broth or any of the other liquids- or just add a splash of cream to the above liquid combinations

For thinner soup just add more liquid of your choice

Bacon, chicken, shrimp, sausage, crab (any protein) can be added (finely cut)

Note:  
cornstarch must first be mixed with the shredded cheese- I do this in a zip lock bag

Heat your liquid til hot
Add your cheese
Whisk like crazy until all melted and smooth and creamy.
Add any protein
Add spices- nutmeg, garlic, pepper

This is also how you make fondue-just don't thin it out with more liquid (and don't use any cream)-use protein and veggie's for your dippers
Catnip
on 8/19/11 2:52 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 You have to be very careful notto let the mixture boil after the cornstarch has been added. If it does happen then the cornstarch will "break" and your mixture will be like water.

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

mirror_image
on 8/19/11 3:11 pm
 That's why you mix your cornstarch with the shredded cheese first before adding it to your hot liquid.
Once the cheese melts and is creamy- turn the heat off, finish and serve.   You do not want to cook this on high heat.  Cook on med high to med. depending on your stove.  Serve immediately.  
Catnip
on 8/19/11 2:49 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 HI,

per serving the recipe as posted has

carbs 13 gr
protein 20 gr
Fat 45gr

If you would remove the milk totally and add an extra cup of whipping cream and 3 extra cups of chicken broth, the recipe changes to 

carbs 9 gr
Protein 18 gr
Fat 50 grams

You could also also use half the flour mixture and get addition thickening by adding more cheese or by thickening with eggs or by doing both.  Adding cheese or eggs would increase the protein. (you would need to use about 12 eggs I would guess, search online for how to use eggs to thicken soup, there is a technique to it)

Regular beer adds a gram of carbs per serving,  I am sure low carb beer still has some carbs.

I would not suggest removing all the flour,  Maybe try making a half recipe removing the milk and see how it goes.  As a tip make sure that the broth you use isn't filled with carbs (some are)  The easiest way to do this is to make your own.  (buy either chicken bones or cheap meat (last day for sale) and then simmer it for an hour or two.)

After the cooking the alcohol in the beer will be gone and fine for your liver.

Good luck
CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 6:40 pm - Beverly, NJ
I just realized the subject says BEAR and cheese soup. LOL
KarenFlorida
on 8/19/11 11:03 pm - Orlando, FL
I noticed that but had decided to let it slide!

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi