Don't judge a book by it's cover or a doctor by his "nurse"

beemerbeeper
on 8/19/11 9:25 am - AL
Today was my appointment to interview a new PCP.  I picked this guy off a billboard.  Literally.   All I knew was that he was new in town and that I could get an appointment quickley.  After I made the appointment I found out the name of the pcp who treats a neigbor with a DS so that was my back up plan.  I know you guys are rolling your eyes about picking a doc off a billboard.  But listen to the rest:

When I pulled up to the office I almost just turned around.  It looks HORRIBLE and you can see the patients waiting through the huge windows since it is in a strip mall. Uh huh.  Really.

The reception was normal.  The paperwork was normal.  The wait in the waiting room a little long but not overly concerning.

The "nurse" asked for a urine sample as soon as she weighed me (more about that later) and when I asked her why she needed one she said we get one on all our patients who have diabetes and high blood pressure.  I said I don't HAVE diabetes or high blood pressure.  She pointed to a space on the form where I marked "yes" to high blood pressure because the question said do you now or have you ever had....  and beside the "yes" I wrote the word "resolved."  Apparently she needed a dictionary.  After that she had the attitude.  I kissed up a bit but not much because I figured I would probably never be back in that office again.

I was still thinking that maybe I should just leave.  But I was there and I really wanted to get my lab slip signed and get a dexa scan scheduled.  So I let her put me in the room and take my BP and temperature.  She said my BP was 140/80 but some machine took my pressure and I never even FELT the cuff tighten on my arm.  Again thoughts of leaving.

Then the waiting began.  I waited and waited and waited.  I wrote a grocery list.  I read two chapters in my book.  I thought about leaving.  I thought I was really stupid for even being there.  I tapped my fingers.

Then walks in Dr Taylor.  The NICEST young doctor.  He spent over 20 minutes talking to me.  Listened to what I said about the DS.  Was flabbergasted (and agreed with me) when I told him that I bet all his patients are low on Vit D and LOVED that all he had to do was sign my lab slip.  He told his staff to schedule me for a dexa scan, and an endo follow-up that I asked for and was perfectly delightful.  I warned him about the possiblity of a bowel obstruction presenting at any point in my life and explained how often I do all those labs and he was perfectly fine with all of it.  He not only wanted to know what vites I take but what doses I take and didn't flinch at any of the doses.

So I was thrilled to walk out with my signed lab slip and a very nice new young doctor who I really believe will work WITH me for a long time.

And about that weight thing?  150 in the middle of the afternoon fully dressed.  I love my damned DS.  I really do.

And to top off a wonderful experience I stopped by JCPenny's for a shirt I needed and found skorts on sale in a size four.  Finding size four anything on sale is not always easy so I decided to try them on.  They are in my closet now.  I can't wait to wear them to flyball practice.   And they cost $11.00.  Did I mention that I love my DS?

~Becky

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/19/11 9:31 am
Glad to hear you got yourself a good new PCP!

I've run into problems with nurses or office staff before. My current PCP is great, but the office staff are amoebic-like when it comes to intelligence, and their nurses always screw something up when I'm there.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

beemerbeeper
on 8/19/11 12:22 pm - AL
This person was NOT a nurse.  They now hire these morons who are "medical assistants" and have the ability to write down a weight, temp and blood pressure.

But the doc seemed cool. 

~Becky

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/19/11 12:27 pm
ACK! The "medical assistant" title made me cringe, in a way I can see you don't always need a full fledged doc to do those simple tasks, but they should at least be able to read! I guess it's hard for a doc to find good help these days :)
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

beemerbeeper
on 8/19/11 12:32 pm - AL
No, it isn't hard to find good help, but it is hard to find good help if you won't/can't pay appropriate wages.  These programs are pumping out these "medical assistants" and I bet they get paid minimum wage.

Let's just say I've seen better social skills behind the counter at McDonald's and MUCH better skills behind the counter at ChickFil-A.

~Becky

AllieInOntario
on 8/19/11 9:35 am
*LIKE* ... good that the doc is willing to work with you and is curious/interested in your Ds'ness :)
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

beemerbeeper
on 8/19/11 12:22 pm - AL
Thanks Allie.

~Becky

gak
on 8/19/11 10:57 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Becky,
So awesome, what a gem of a find ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

beemerbeeper
on 8/19/11 12:23 pm - AL
Thanks Ginger.  And thanks for the other info too.

~Becky

adnerb
on 8/19/11 10:57 am
Sounds like a perfect fit for you....doc and clothes!! yea!