In Hospital.. Need some advice..

P. Poster
on 9/1/11 3:26 am, edited 9/1/11 3:27 am
I responded to your text with the information I have, but I will repeat it here for posterity. I have not been to see Dr. E in 6 months as I have not been instructed to do so. Since I am past a year postop, they only need to see me every 6 months for lab review. Therefore, I am not aware of the current office staff, or politics there. Not sure what other "help" you expected?

On a side note- not sure why if you call the after hours # you get Dr. F if he no longer works there, but thats certainly not my fault or issue to work around. When *I* call the after hours #, I am connected directly to Dr Elariny via his cell phone, never had an issue with that, and that has been the case all 3 times I have had to call the afterhours #. In fact, I just did this last week and had an hour long conversation with him. He also worked with my Drs up here, and coordinated some care for me as well, even though it wasn't a "surgical issue".

ETA- and BTW- I TOO have an awful lot going on, so don't go there.
KimberlyHeidi
on 8/31/11 3:22 pm - VA
 Sorry I post mostly on OH FB and have had a lot of personal things going on. Dr E never did come to see me in the hospital, but I did see him the week after. I tried calling his voicemail, surgeon on call but got a surgeon who no longer works with him and emailed him. I asked all the Drs and nurses to call him and make him aware I was at his hospital as well. They released me and I finally got an email back from him asking me to come see him the following Wed. I got released on a Sat. He was actually in another hospital and that is why he was unable to come and see me. 

I went to see him since he knows my anatomy and brought a friend with me. He said he would take out my gallbladder but thought my real issue was the endo and not the gallbladder. He said he went over my results from the tests done at the hospital and there was nothing but some sludge. I had to point out where it mentioned thickning, fluid and more than just some sludge. At this time I didnt have all my final reports from the hospital but his office did and he said he went through them.

He offered to open me up and take out my gallbladder and see if they fixed things as it could be my gallbladder as I have pain after eating and am still getting sludge despite taking Urso 2x daily since surgery. He also said a GYN should be present in case there was more endo which I totally agreed about. He was wonderful for the first half of the visit and then started walking away talking on his phone and just going off when my friend was trying to ask questions. He told me to come in that weekend and they would schedule surgery for Sat and if that wasnt possible to come to the ER Fri and he would admit me and do surgery on Sat if they couldnt schedule it.

I went to talk to his scheduler who said that was not possible as he was not on call that weekend. So they scheduled it for the 1st pending my insurance approval as he is out of network and I needed to get some tests done prior to that. 

I got all my paperwork that day and went through it all and was surprised to find not only did my tests show sludge, thickening, fluid, but also gallstones. I was pretty upset that Dr E did not see this and said I had no gallstones. The next day I was still in town so highlighted and brought back everything for him to see. He was not there so I asked that it was given to him.

In the meantime I have gotten a semi second opinion from my PCP who has ref me to see my bariatric surgeon here. The issue is he really doesnt like dealing with other surgeons patients and he does not do the DS surgery. I am also contacting other DS surgeons to try and consult with them. I have seen my gastro and they do think all of this pain due to where it is and when it happens can be from my gallbladder and the stones etc. 

Up until today my insurance wouldnt cover it and I have not been feeling well today so have to postpone surgery and want to get a few more opinions just to make sure I am doing the right thing. 

On a positive note with meds and help I am going to the bathroom again. Its not as much as it was and its less frequent and more oily even though I am not eating a lot of fat but I am not complaining as at least I am going and able to pass gas again not as much but its there. 

I was told by the Gastro Drs that my absorption issue could also be due to my gallbladder issue and all of my upper pain could be due to that too, so it does look like my gallbladder can be a very likely culprit of all this. I also have no doubt the endo and PCOS is what continues to make me have pelvic pain as I have had for many years. 
newyorkbitch
on 8/31/11 9:18 pm, edited 8/31/11 9:34 pm
So Dr. Elariny agreed to remove your gall bladder and have an ob/gyn surgeon present to deal with any endo....and you are NOT scheduling it ???  You are now going to start shopping around for other "DS surgeons?"  You have gallstones and a competent surgeon who is willing to remove your gall bladder very soon?  And multiple docs have said your gall bladder and/or endo are the likely casues of your "problems?"  And you are NOT scheduling surgery asap?

Okay you are without a doubt out of your mind.  You may need your gall bladder out,  but what you need even more desperately is psychiatric care. 

KimberlyHeidi
on 9/1/11 3:35 pm - VA
 If you dont like me or want to be so judgemental and nasty well why dont you block me and ignore me already? 

I have been told to always get a 2nd opinion. Its funny how the opinions vary so much on here and on the FB group. If you read my post he didnt seem to want to remove my gallbladder because he thought it was the issue and failed to read the reports that showed I had major issues wrong with my gallbladder, but I guess that is to be expected as well too right?

I had surgery scheduled but was sick and they wouldnt have done it anyways and my PCP wants me to see the bariatric surgeons here for another opinion.

I am also so sick of people telling me I need psychiatric care because I have been to a few psychologists and psychiatrists regarding some of these issues and everyone has agreed my only issue is major anxiety/panic disorder and stress. Its really frustrating for people to keep making me out to be a nut and make those kind of statements. I am on top of my health care including my mental health care which is fine. Thanks for your help and opinons though. 
Elizabeth N.
on 9/2/11 12:00 am - Burlington County, NJ
*sigh* And you wonder why we question your credibility?

You *do* know that we get information from sources in addition to these message boards, right? That we *do* understand than no one person ever tells the entire story, especially when it's about them?

You *do* know that your anxiety/panic disorder can make your entire experience worse, right? That better management of THOSE issues can rather dramatically change your experience of your medical conditions? Do you know that MANY of the people responding to you actually LIVE with such conditions themselves?

Nah, none of that matters. Of course not.

Do entertain us with lengthy stories of opinions ten through sixteen.

prettypixels
on 9/2/11 10:05 am
On September 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM Pacific Time, KimberlyHeidi wrote:
 If you dont like me or want to be so judgemental and nasty well why dont you block me and ignore me already? 

I have been told to always get a 2nd opinion. Its funny how the opinions vary so much on here and on the FB group. If you read my post he didnt seem to want to remove my gallbladder because he thought it was the issue and failed to read the reports that showed I had major issues wrong with my gallbladder, but I guess that is to be expected as well too right?

I had surgery scheduled but was sick and they wouldnt have done it anyways and my PCP wants me to see the bariatric surgeons here for another opinion.

I am also so sick of people telling me I need psychiatric care because I have been to a few psychologists and psychiatrists regarding some of these issues and everyone has agreed my only issue is major anxiety/panic disorder and stress. Its really frustrating for people to keep making me out to be a nut and make those kind of statements. I am on top of my health care including my mental health care which is fine. Thanks for your help and opinons though. 
But you've been pressuring Dr. E to do this for you, and now you are saying wait, let's get a second opinion.  It just doesn't really add up.  A second opinion is fine, but it sure seems like Dr. E is doing his best to get you the help you are asking for. 
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

Elizabeth N.
on 9/3/11 3:28 am - Burlington County, NJ
Glad to see you get it :-).