In Hospital.. Need some advice..

KimberlyHeidi
on 8/19/11 12:38 pm - VA
 Thanks Lisa. I dont hear too well but I have emailed a few people. It might not get me anywhere, but at least its something. First thing in the morning I am calling for an advocate and praying they will be there even if its a Sat. I will plan on getting my upper gi test and trying a few more avenues and if nothing else get released go home and end up back in one of my hospitals at home if need to be. My husband really cant miss anymore work and doesnt like wasting money on hotels when they arent doing what I thought they would be doing here. I wish I didnt even sign myself of out my hospital but I thought for sure I would get better care here where they did my surgery and be able to see Dr. E. 
ThisIsMyUserName
on 8/19/11 12:03 pm
I'm pre op, so I can't say anything about the medical issues. I can say that if I were you, I would use the internet to find the contact information  the President or Dean of the Hospital. I would also find information for the Director or the Dean of the Surgical Department as well as whatever administration is over the Emergency Room. If your surgeon is at a facility as opposed to pivate practice, I would find the administration for that facility as well. Usually heads of hospitals/surgical departments are physicians as well, meaning they will have an actual office with a desk and a secratary. I would start contacting ALLL those people with my issue. I would keep it relatively short and sweet.... The main issues I would address with the hospital is my lack of pain management and the way my concerns about absorbtion are being ignored. If you get in contact with the head of the surgical department express your concern about the pain being related to surgery and the fact that your concerns are being ignored. I doubt much will happen over the weekend, even if you do get ahold of these people.

I would have long ago checked out of that hospital and gone elsewhere. Its no point in being there if your surgeon is not gonna visit you. At least another hospital would likely give you pain management. Good Luck
KimberlyHeidi
on 8/19/11 12:40 pm - VA
 I went to the webpage and found the contact info and did use it but not sure how helpful its going to be. If nothing happens tomorrow I guess its best for me to go home then at least my husband can go back to work and not have to pay for a hotel and if I have to I can go back to one of my two hospitals near me. I just thought being here would be the best place for me.

While I know something is up if something surgical does need to be done I really wanted Dr E to do it since he knows my body and anatomy. 
ThisIsMyUserName
on 8/19/11 1:06 pm
Oh, Im not giving you a hard time...The furthest thing from it.  I would have done the same thing, gone to where my surgeon is or has priviledges. But since he for whatever reason won't see you.... And the administration probably wont get back to you over the weekend. But probably Monday if you're still there!

Good Luck!
KimberlyHeidi
on 8/19/11 1:27 pm - VA
Oh I know hun and you are right. I thought coming here would be the best but its obviously not. From what I hear unless they find something major tomorrow with my upper Gi series they are going to let me go. I guess I will just lay low and see how I feel and if I have to go back to one of my local hospitals. 

I guess I am still terrified about the possibility of an obstruction and how I know if I can have one. And if only going to the bathroom with enemas and another lax's is acceptable and if so for how long. 
princesspopnfresh2
on 8/19/11 1:32 pm

I'm curious if the pain subsides at all when you are lying on your left side. Your issues sound alot like the ones had when they decided I had an internal hernia. This usually will not show up in the tests. According to my surgeon one of the tell tale signs of a Peterson's is that when you lay on the left side the pain subsides somewhat.  I was hospitalized three times with excruciating pain and discharged three times because there was supposedly nothing wrong with me. I was not at my surgeon's hospital however. The last time it happened they discharged me on a Sunday night with a script and no pharmacies were open. By 1:00 a.m. we were on our way to my surgeon's e.r. (3 hours away which is why I didn't go there in the first place). If Dr. E won't Even see you you need to show up at his office and demand to be seen or find a DS surgeon who will.

Hw 348/sw 306/  
prettypixels
on 8/19/11 10:24 pm
 Unfortunately there aren't many DS surgeons in the area.  I'm not sure where she actually lives, but Elariny is the only surgeon in the DC/MD/VA area, aside from Dr. Schweitzer and another doctor who work in Baltimore. 

Anyways... this whole thing about Elariny not seeing you is BULL****  He should be all over this.  I would be calling his office and going crazy on the phone until I speak to him directly.  His email (no idea if he checks it) is [email protected].  Dr. E is the one I was planning to use so if this continues with him ignoring a patient in need I am going to pitch a fit.  When I got pregnant I called the doctor who did my lap-band in Mexico;  he answered his cell phone and talked to me about the pregnancy!  He had done my band FIVE YEARS prior.  

There is no way Dr. E should not be attending to this and helping you Kimberly, but you have to start seriously stomping your feet and refuse to stop until you get results.  Don't *ask* them to call him.  Call him yourself.  I understand you don't hear that well, but try, or have your husband help you!  Tell him exactly what to say if you have to.  

I am so sorry you are going through this and hope things are figured out soon!  
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

newyorkbitch
on 8/19/11 10:42 pm
Read her posting history here.  There is more to this story than meets the internet.  Do NOT assume Elariny is doing anything wrong here.
(deactivated member)
on 8/20/11 2:19 am - San Jose, CA
I was looking at this thread late last night, Pacific time, and got myself in a concerned dither about this, because (1) she sounds like she is in pain and very frustrated; (2) the situation sounds terribly unacceptable the way she describes it; (3) there IS a sketchy past posting history; and (4) I know a WONDERFUL senior nurse who works at Inova Fairfax Inova who is extremely smart, compassionate and has gone above and beyond for both my mother when she was hospitalized there, and the father of a mutual friend, ensuring that the actual people providing their care KNEW she was watching them.

So I wrote an email in the middle of the night to her husband, who is my friend, asking if his wife could make a suggestion about who Kimberley could talk to in order to get some proper assistance, and I gave him the link to this thread.  Apparently, his wife was working last night, and he saw my email when she got home and read it to her early this morning.

His response to me was VERY cryptic, mentioning the words "coincidence" and "confidential," so I am going to assume that the proper people are on top of this situation, and that she is being cared for appropriately.  I hope that gives some assurances both to Kimberley and others reading this thread.
(deactivated member)
on 8/20/11 3:18 am
Thanks for doing that Diane.  I too was in a "concerned dither"!