In Hospital.. Need some advice..

KimberlyHeidi
on 8/19/11 10:04 am - VA
 Thank you. When I called the operator they said the only one who could help me was the charge nurse . She said she would page my Dr at the hospital and let him know about my pain and that I want my surgeon called but so far nothing yet.

I was told there is no one higher than her here at the moment. Dr E is not getting back to me and my stomach is huge and bloated and my pain is unbearable. 
teachmid
on 8/19/11 10:52 am - OKC, OK
There will be some kind of nursing supervisor for the hospital. Another direction is to ask/demand that the head nurse or whatever title is used for the unit be called at home. (for example: generally a house supervisor is responsible for assuring that the next shift of nurses is covered.)

Is your husband or a family member eithnyou who can raise a stink and make demands on your behalf?

How big is this hospital? The operator or charge nurse should be able to tell you who the chaplain or social worker is who is on call,

I'm just trying to give use some resources for advocacy.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

KimberlyHeidi
on 8/19/11 11:08 am - VA
 I am at Inova Fairfax and all alone. My husband went to a hotel and to be honest he is useless in this situation. The only other family I have is 3 hours away and its my mom who is watching my son. My nurse told me the charge nurse got a call back from my dr here and he said nothing but the pain meds I have been on. 
kiwicat
on 8/19/11 10:01 am - Knoxville, TN
The pain sounds a lot like what I had five weeks ago. They did all the tests - Hida scan, CT Scan, Ultrasound, and nothing showed up. They had to do exploratory surgery and found two internal hernias and with one, my intestines was trapped. I would definately insist on talking to a surgeon because it very well could be surgical. Sometimes these things don't show up on CT scans or ultrasounds - mine didn't. Just a suggestion. I hope they get it figured it out for you soon and you get to feeling better.

Alecia
KimberlyHeidi
on 8/19/11 10:05 am - VA
 At this point I wish they would open me up but I doubt it since they wont even give me pain meds. I know something is not right, 
beth-28
on 8/19/11 10:36 am, edited 8/19/11 10:36 am
I am not saying this to be mean, so please do not take it that way. You need your husband, mother, father sister or brother by your side to be your advocate since you are not getting results. If you are not getting help from a patient advocate, head nurse and/or doctor, then you NEED to talk to the hospital administrator or the Director of Nursing. There is ALWAYS an administrator on call. I worked in a hospital for over 6 years.

Your husband needs to go to Dr. E's office and not leave there until he sees Dr. E personally if you cannot get their office to return your calls. If they discharge you, go straight to the ER and sit there.

Not to frighten you but why is no one addressing the fact that you were vomiting up blood?? This is not normal! I would not leave there until I got results. But I am a loud-mouthed ***** who will raise hell until I get what I want/need. This is your life that they are possibly putting in danger. Tell them that they'd better make sure their malpractice insurance is up-to-date because if anything happens after they make you leave the hospital....well that's just what I would do.

I hope things get better soon. Please keep us posted.

edited for spelling
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

newyorkbitch
on 8/19/11 11:13 am
Methinks there is more to the OP's story than meets the internet...
KimberlyHeidi
on 8/19/11 11:15 am - VA
 Ask and I will gladly tell
newyorkbitch
on 8/19/11 11:42 am
If you are in "unbearable pain" get of the ******g internet and demand to see the administrator on duty.  Make a fuss and don't stop until you are satisfied with your treatment and what you are being told.

Everything else is bull****
KimberlyHeidi
on 8/19/11 11:52 am - VA
 I am glad its so easy for you. I have asked for the person in charge and all I get is the charge nurse. I told them about my pain and they gave me another tramadol. They have told me there is no patient advocate here at this time of the night and the only person who can help is the charge nurse who called my Dr and the Dr refuses to do anything.