DS for "lightweights"

Cowgirl_X
on 8/18/11 9:27 am
My BMI was 37 on the day I had surgery.  I made it down to a BMI of 23.9 and then bounced back a bit.  There are those who have gotten a little too thin with the DS, but I'm certainly not someone who is ever going to have that problem.  

Before I got my DS, I was a planning a gastric bypass.  The gastric bypass surgeon, when I told him that I was considering a DS, told me that I was risking likely liver failure.  What crap. Unless you are consulting with a competent DS surgeon, the information you get on DS is pretty useless.
Generic User_Name
on 8/18/11 9:54 am
 Still another lightweight DSer here.  My BMI on the date of surgery was 37.5.  I weighed 255.9 when I had surgery.

I am currently at 167.4 which puts my current BMI at 24.5.  I do not look like a concentration camp victim.

You can check out my 8 month comparison photo here.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4439304/8-Month-Comparison/

Mel_Ga
on 8/18/11 11:23 am
I am a lightweight and was about a 35 BMI on the day of surgery.  I am only one month out though so we will have to see what the future holds.  I trust my surgeon and he does not think I will loose to much.
ambermay
on 8/18/11 12:26 pm
On August 11th I had Duodenal switch surgery and my BMI was 39.  I am doing well

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 12:49 pm
I am a lightweight also, my BMI was like 38.5 or something.  I am 5'4" and on surgery day I weighed 222.5.  My surgery was just on the 5th.  My surgeon gave me a long common channel (200cm) although every surgeon has a different preference as far as length of cc goes.  I weighed 204.8 this morning.  I'm doing great so far.  Dr. Gagner is a great surgeon, and very experienced with the DS, so I would listen to what he says, not Dr. Dent.
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 12:56 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Before my revision I weighed 221, on the morning of my revision I weighed 214, and today  I fluctuate between 160-170. I never got down to what would be considered goal.  I am thankful every day that I went through with the revision.
Heather E.
on 8/18/11 4:14 pm
I'm another lightweight.  I weighed 233 (I think) on the day of surgery, which put my BMI at 37.6.  Today, almost a year and a half later, I weigh in between 140-143, which puts my BMI at 22.6ish.  The lowest I ever got was 136, which was still only a BMI of 21.9.

My surgeon made my stomach very small and my common channel longer than typical for someone who had a higher starting BMI.  It has worked very well for me.  I never got "too" skinny, and I never got to where I looked sickly.

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

Caleña M.
on 8/18/11 8:21 pm
I am also a "lightweight".  I had the 2nd part of the DS in April and I weighed in at 202.  I am currently 173 (I am a slow looser), but I have accomplished so many goals I set for this summer.
I  am officially able to shop in regular stores, no longer plus size.  I am jogging at least 6 laps straight.  I am measuring my progress in many other ways - not just by the scale.

Janine

DS SW - 201 4/21/11; GW 130
Victorious_one
on 8/19/11 12:49 am - South Central, PA

I'm so glad that you're continuing to research, and not just listening to what someone randomly says, doctor or not.  

Lots of bariatric surgeons disparage the DS, mostly because they are misinformed and they don't perform the surgery themselves.  They're in business to make money.  If you chose a surgery they don't perform, they're not likely to try to "sell" it to you.  They want you to choose a surgery that they perform, and choose them to perform it.  Cha-ching!

I'm a lightweight virgin DSer.  My surgeon is a very experienced revision surgeon.  Because I was a lightweight, he was pretty surprised that I picked the DS out of all 4 of his surgeries (I think he does the band, I'm not sure); BUT he let me pick the surgery that was best for me and supported me in that.  

Experienced revisionists know how to ensure that you won't lose an extraordinary amount of weight. Talk to Dr. Gagner and see what he has to say.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers