Is this OK? I can eat more at 8 wks out?

sherryatlarge
on 8/18/11 12:32 pm - TX
I am 8 weeks out and I can gulp water, eat a whole salad w/meat and nuts without feeling that "stuck" feeling.  Have I broken me DS?   ....or is this normal?

I fell last week on my stomach after being shoved with force. (AHDH)  I was so worried that I busted my surgery or something bad.  It took me 2 days to get in touch with my surgery doctor who did assure me that I should be healed up by now and a fall should not have hurt my surgery.  I do have some mystery pain at stomach level and back pain, not to mention bruised boob.   I think I'm fine now, but still have a twinge of pain now and then.

Anyway, I noticed the day after the fall that I could eat more and drink better, so of course I thought my stomach was open leaving more room for food.  But if that were so, I would be in the hospital by now.

Is it just time for me to tolerate food better or have I stretched out my stomach too soon?

Sher
  I feel like I'm in a dream.        
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 12:39 pm - Yorktown, VA
I doubt you did any harm.

Having said that, the one thing I wish I had done differently (despite maintaining below goal) is to have taken more care NOT to stretch my stomach out.  I can now eat basically what I ate as a pre-op and have been able to for awhile now (I'm less than 2 years out).  When it comes time for me to have to fight any bit of rebound, I will be wishing I still had my restriction.

I recommend you try to eat slowly and stop when full.  Don't try and see how much you can eat or go back to old habits of cleaning your plate.
sherryatlarge
on 8/18/11 12:56 pm - TX
Thank you Tessy.  I will follow your recommendations.  

It's great to enjoy my food again and especially to take a full drink and not just those little sips....sip...sip..

Does anyone else remember being able to drink and eat a regular size salad with out discomfort at just 8 weeks out?

Thank you.
Ann M.
on 8/18/11 1:09 pm, edited 8/18/11 1:10 am - GA
I can eat quite a bit and certainly more solid food than I ever could when I was banded and I could gulp water the first day after surgery. But then I had esophageal dilation. I am worried too as I have lost very little weight my second month compared to my first (I know- stay OFF the scale).

I flat out cannot tolerate whey based protein shakes so I am going to try some egg based ones. I am hoping that if I fill up on shakes that may help me eat less. I am able to get my protein in just by eating I'm just worried about the volume. My other problem is that I don't get hungry until around lunch time. I think I may be a little nauseous or slightly dehydrated in the morning. I really need to try to get some in protein sooner in the morning so I don't eat so much later. I started tracking my food on MFP though and I am still coming in where I should be.

I dunno, I'm worried too.

Ann

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

sherryatlarge
on 8/18/11 1:44 pm - TX
Ann,

Our surgery days are so close.  I did lose 40 pounds on doctor supervised liquid diet before the surgery.  So if you are comparing your surgery lose with mine, I've only lost 38 lbs. since my surgery.

I also was not able to tolerate the protein shakes at first (probably because I was sick of them since that's what I lost the first 40 on).  But now I can take the shakes.

Something else we have in common is that I don't care about eating in the morning either.  I know I should.  I have quit coffee, but am going to try to replace the coffee with a shake now or maybe just an already boiled egg.  (easy)  And try not to eat anymore big quantities.

I love OH, because it gives me peace of mind to know there are others that can help me though my fears. 

Sherry
Ann M.
on 8/19/11 12:08 am - GA
I'm glad I could help if for no other reason to validate your feelings. It looks like I may lose 4-5 pounds my second month putting my total loss at 29-30 pounds. I need to put my tinfoil helmet on as I am convinced I am the special one this won't work for.

As for the forceful shove (I was hopng DH pushed you out of the way of an oncoming car), I think you need to be working on an expedited exit strategy.

You are in a tough spot. And you are stronger than you know.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

sherryatlarge
on 8/19/11 5:02 am - TX
I'm working on that.  And the D is not for darling.
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 1:55 pm
Wow Ann! Not only did we have the same surgery date, and close to the same starting weight for the DS but I could have written this too! Are you 5'7" - 5'8" as well? LOL

"I am worried too as I have lost very little weight my second month compared to my first (I know- stay OFF the scale).

I flat out cannot tolerate whey based protein shakes so I am going to try some egg based ones. I am hoping that if I fill up on shakes that may help me eat less. I am able to get my protein in just by eating I'm just worried about the volume. My other problem is that I don't get hungry until around lunch time."
Elizabeth N.
on 8/18/11 3:30 pm - Burlington County, NJ
You do NOT have to worry about the "volume." Just eat your protein first. When you have consumed 30 grams of protein from food, then have some other stuff if you still have room.

That first month is when most people see that big old drop of scale numbers....Because of the WATER DUMP that happens immediately postop. Quit giving credence to what is nothing more than peeing off a gallon or two of water. It's meaningless in the long run. Now you're in real fat-dropping territory and that is wonderful :-).

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 6:42 pm
EN, you're awesome (:

As much as I read that it was going to happen (stalls, slower weight loss etc.), I still felt like I was doing something wrong. That feeling is getting less and less though.

I *think* I'm starting to relax and trust my DS