Life Insurance Medical Questions and the DS

buffalobillsfan
on 8/18/11 9:13 am - CA
Hi All,
I am thinking about getting more life insurance since my job doesn't have a supplemental option and I fear my husband and pets would be homeless without my income (keeps me up some nights thinking about it). 

The only question I'm not sure how to answer is:
"In the past 5 years have you been advised to have any surgery, treatment, follow-up test, hospital care, or medical investigations that are still pending for any abnormalities."

How does the DS figure into this?  Does this count as advised?  Thanks for your help! 

Cheers,
Cathy

Renee2007
on 8/18/11 9:23 am - Central, FL
 Normally any type of WLS is under the 5 year scrutiny. Did your insurance cover your DS and was it determined to be medically necessary?

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

buffalobillsfan
on 8/18/11 10:04 am - CA
Yes for both.  Ironic that if I didn't have the surgery I could have answered no to all of the questions but I would have been closer to death.  Now I'm healthy!  Sigh....

Emily F.
on 8/18/11 10:02 am
I was under the impression, you had to answer that you had major surgery in the last 5 years but your normal weight might offset the major surgery question or might only bring it up one level. ?
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 12:37 pm - San Jose, CA
"In the past 5 years have you been advised to have any surgery, treatment, follow-up test, hospital care, or medical investigations that are still pending for any abnormalities."

I am not 100% sure, which tells me this question is being deliberately worded obtusely, but *I* read that to be asking if youwere TOLD to do something that you DIDN'T do.  "... that are still pending ..."
buffalobillsfan
on 8/18/11 11:05 pm - CA
I know!  Is it that the "still pending" is related to the abnormalities or the entire sentence?  I should call them.  I almost know what the answer will be.  F'ers!  I'll post the reply but it looks like others were denied.  I hope nothing happens to me for 3.2 more years. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 12:41 pm - Yorktown, VA
Hello switch sister!  Long time, no see!

I tried to up my life insurance and was denied due to the DS.  I've also heard the 5 year rule.

If in doubt, I'd call and ask them.  Better to know for sure than to answer incorrectly and end up being accused of fraud.
buffalobillsfan
on 8/18/11 11:08 pm - CA
Hey Tessy!!! 

I'm a lurker now.  I am still dealing with exhaustion so I don't post much but I read faithfully every day. 

I kind of suspected that it would be denied.  I wonder if there are companies that do the medical evaluation instead.  I think I will call. 

Cheers,
Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 11:46 pm - Yorktown, VA
Sorry to hear about the exhaustion.  How are your labs?  I was dealing with this and turns out I'm very anemic.  One infusion later and I already feel better.  I might need another, but this first one did help.
buffalobillsfan
on 8/19/11 12:05 pm - CA
My ferritin is within normal limits but decreased by half over 6 months.  My iron is low but not horrible.  I am seeing a hemo on 9/1 and hopefully an infusion will be in order and help.  I glad you feel better already.