Saw my PCP today...

Nissa_M
on 8/18/11 7:34 am - TX
So I let the cat out of the bag to my doctor today. I wanted to make sure she was okay working with a bariatric patient. When she asked me what surgery I was getting and I said the duodenal switch, her eyes got really big and she said "well, just realize that you're going to be taking a LOT of vitamins and having to keep a close eye one those labs, D and Iron are extremely important".

So it seemed like she was at least aware of the surgery and she had no issues with learning about it! Yay. I feel a little more relieved that everything is panning out so nicely in regards to this. I hope the easy streak continues into recovery and life with the DS! 
kramer5
on 8/18/11 8:48 am - Washington, KS
Awesome to hear! 

Dawn

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 10:03 am
 Wow aren't you lucky.
Yes I too hope your lucky streak continues. Knowledge is the key to success with the DS. 
I bet you will do fine.
Nissa_M
on 8/18/11 3:04 pm - TX
Thanks ladies!
"Just Elizabeth "
on 8/19/11 8:55 am - Houston, TX
My GP in Kuwait was the same way. She knew just what the surgery was and was more than willing to give me any test I wanted that they could do. My GP since I've been back had never heard of the DS but she is excited to learn about it. She also is more than willing to give me any test I want. When my blood work showed a D deficiency (one that I told her I was digging my way out of) she gave me the prescription D. I called her back and said this won't work. She was more than willing to rewrite the prescription so that I could get my insurance company to reimburse me for OTC. A good GP is a wonderful thing.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy