Pre-op needs advice on what to discuss with PCP

LuckyLibrarian
on 8/18/11 12:25 am - Plumerville, AR
I have an appointment scheduled with my PCP soon. I will inform her that I want to have the DS asap, when I get approved thru insurance. I will direct her to dsfacts.com, and give her all the information I currently have.

My insurance will not begin covering WLS until the new year, so I have a few months to wait until I can be approved. I will being ANOTHER supervised diet, just in case, of my own accord. Should I have her draw up labs now so that I have a reference point to post-op labs?

Is there any advice on what you wish you talked to your PCP about before your surgical journey?
I appreciate any helpful advice!

Kristen
larra
on 8/18/11 12:32 am - bay area, CA
Most pcp's know absolutely nothing about the DS. In fact, your pcp has probably never heard of it.
    I would bring her a copy of one of the really good articles about the DS. The Hess 10 year study is the one I gave to my pcp way back then. Just enough to get her up to speed, not enough to overwhelm her into not reading anything.
   Providing the dsfacts website is a good idea also. It wasn't in existence when I had my DS. But I still think actually handing her something is your best bet.

Larra
kramer5
on 8/18/11 5:37 am - Washington, KS
I printed off info from DS Facts as well as vitamin info from Vitalady.  My PCP found it very helpful.

Dawn