Considering Revision and now terrified

shele
on 8/17/11 10:55 pm, edited 8/17/11 10:55 pm

From personal experience only!

DO NOT HAVE any revision from any surgeon that you have not researched for  YOURSELF!

I Have no problem with my surgeons skill, he did everything he said he would, and took care of me wonderfully! He is a top notch surgeon! 

That being said, I, after rny, then revision to end up with a common channel of 120, still did not reach a normal bmi.

I do not have a problem keeping my weight off, but can not seem to loose more.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

larra
on 8/18/11 12:56 am - bay area, CA
There is no one, I repeat no one, in your state doing RNY to DS revisions. The is another surgeon, Dr. Schlesinger, who does RNY to ERNY revisions, and maybe he does a virgin DS, though personally I wouldn't go to him. But that isn't what you want now anyway.

So here are a few things you need to do now:

1. accept the need to travel

2. learn the details of your insurer's policy regarding revision wls (don't trust any info over the phone, do whatever it takes to get this info in writing and review it yourself)

3. learn whether or not your insurance will cover treatment out of state, keeping in mind that the rules on this may depend on whether or not the care in question is available in state (and it isn't)

4. pick a true RNY to DS revision experienced surgeon. Given your location, the most likely candidates are Drs. John Rabkin or Dr. Ara Keshishian, both in CA. Both have extensive experience with these very complex surgeries, not just "several", as someone else posted. Your choice may depend on one or the other being in-network. You won't go wrong with either of them.

5. arrange a consultation with your surgeon of choice. You will need your medical records, and esp the operative report from your RNY.

Well, that should get you started! Good luck to you.

Larra
Nicolle
on 8/18/11 3:56 am
Rabkin or Keshishian, both in California are great and qualified to do RNY to-DS revisions.

Rabkin's site is: www.paclap.com.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!