Considering Revision and now terrified

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/17/11 2:13 pm - Tuvalu

What follow up?  If you want a DS, you might as well hook up with an EXPERIENCED DS REVISION surgeon...not a beginner...and not someone with Juarez' history.  Did you run a background check on him?  See what he's been reprimanded about?

Modest Vixen
on 8/17/11 2:25 pm - Surprise, AZ
I didn't, I was given a choice between him and Dr Fang and my gut told me Fang.

As for follow up I need someone to tell my insurance I meet their qualifications for revision. I have gone over their list and I do, now just need a surgeon to back me up. So I guess I can transfer to Dr Blackstone's office for that? Not really sure what to do with this new info...

~*Crystal*~

HW-327/SW-313/CW-271/Doc's Goal:150 ......Awaiting Revision to DS     
Post RNY baby born 6 weeks early, Jaelyn Mary Christine May 9th, 2011    

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/17/11 2:39 pm - Tuvalu
On August 17, 2011 at 9:25 PM Pacific Time, Modest Vixen wrote:
I didn't, I was given a choice between him and Dr Fang and my gut told me Fang.

As for follow up I need someone to tell my insurance I meet their qualifications for revision. I have gone over their list and I do, now just need a surgeon to back me up. So I guess I can transfer to Dr Blackstone's office for that? Not really sure what to do with this new info...

I'd still say no...not Fang and not Blackstone.

What kind of insurance do you have?  Are you in an HMO?  THATmight be a reason to go for approval for a revision first and once you have the revision in hand, going out of network for someone with experience.  But if you have a PPO, I'd go straight to a real DS doctor.

Nissa_M
on 8/17/11 2:36 pm - TX
I'm pretty sure what they are saying is find yourself an experienced DS revision surgeon FIRST. Then get that surgeon to do all the insurance filing. Why get approval with a surgeon who won't/can't do the revision?
Nana1176
on 8/17/11 3:34 pm - CA
Hi,  I read most of the previous post and do agree that not all the surgeons can do revisions. My Dr here in CA is Dr Ara Kesheshian and he has done several revesion frm RNY to DS.  Now for the insurance issue,  unless you have an HMO, then the requirements to have WLS is not different if you go out of  your state to have the surgery.  I work for a major insurance company here in CA and the requirements are one in teh same for instate as out of state, but that is for a PPO policy. But, now that you already had the RNY you are going to come up against a different issue, the insurance companies dont really like to pay for two WLS within a 5-10 yr time frame. My suggestion is for you to call your insurance company and if  you could by chance talk to someone in their authorization department to see what their requirements are for a revision.  Most Customer service reps wont know this information unless they work a lot with the auth dept.  What insurance company do you have?  Is it HMO? if it is HMO then you are confined to what ever Dr the insurance company assigns to you.
Good Luck.
Nancy Godina
nana1176
GRDS 2001
Dr. Kesheshian

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 10:04 am
Nana1176
on 8/19/11 4:32 am - CA
Yes, Dr. K has done hundreds of revisions and in my estimations he is the best. He did my GRDS back in 2001 and then had to go back and lengthen my Duodenal sleeve because I was losing way to much weight, he revised that in 2005. I was one of his first 100 or so patients.  He literally saved my life and I recommend him to everyone thinking about having WLS. He is kind, honest, caring and all around just a great guy. 
If anyone is seeking a surgeon to do the original surgery or a revision, I would first research the surgeon and  check out how many surgeries of the type I was needing has the surgeon performed, what was the result of the surgery, were there complications, what does their patient say. Have they ever filed malpractice etc. Make sure that you feel totally comfortable in the hands of your surgeon.  I wouldnt go to a Dr just because the insurance company told me to. Even with having an HMO policy you can always appeal to have the surgeon of your choice, its just a matter of communicating with your insurance company.

Nana1176
on 8/19/11 4:34 am - CA
Yes, Dr. K has done hundreds of revisions and in my estimations he is the best. He did my GRDS back in 2001 and then had to go back and lengthen my Duodenal sleeve because I was losing way to much weight, he revised that in 2005. I was one of his first 100 or so patients.  He literally saved my life and I recommend him to everyone thinking about having WLS. He is kind, honest, caring and all around just a great guy. 
If anyone is seeking a surgeon to do the original surgery or a revision, I would first research the surgeon and  check out how many surgeries of the type I was needing has the surgeon performed, what was the result of the surgery, were there complications, what does their patient say. Have they ever filed malpractice etc. Make sure that you feel totally comfortable in the hands of your surgeon.  I wouldnt go to a Dr just because the insurance company told me to. Even with having an HMO policy you can always appeal to have the surgeon of your choice, its just a matter of communicating with your insurance company.
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 6:31 pm
I have little to add other than to beg you to find a different surgeon. Your surgery is complicated, leave it to the experienced.
teachmid
on 8/17/11 10:29 pm - OKC, OK
I have nothing significant to add to what has already been said. Please check into Dr. Keshishian. He's not all that far from you. With a consult, he might write a letter to the insurance company is support for your need for the revision,

Good luck.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165