Considering Revision and now terrified

Paula R.
on 8/17/11 12:47 pm - Portland, OR
First of all, Im sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with your RNY.  I personally am not going to say I told you so because I didnt....and Im in the same boat you are in.  Im sure you did what you thought was the best thing for you.

As some of the vets have mentioned, the RNY to DS revision is a highly complex surgical procedure.  Even more so than poor Stephanie's, which I believe was a Band to DS revision. I personally would only consider having a revision with one of the top tier surgeons (like Keshishian, Rabkin, etc) or not have the procedure done at all until I could go to one of those guys.  

My signature is in the witness protection program

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 12:48 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Is your insurance in-state only? If not, they'll cover any doctor who is on their plan. I would argue for the need to see an experienced revision surgeon, and not someone who hasn't done many.

I was lucky, Dr. Greenbaum was on Horizon BCBS NJ, so I didn't have to jump through too many hoops. I could have gone to NYC, too, to a Blue Cross provider. I chose Dr. Greenbaum because of his experience with my particular revision type.

In the meantime, start getting yourself healthy. Drink water!!!!
Elizabeth N.
on 8/17/11 1:01 pm - Burlington County, NJ
You would be a damned fool to go to either one of those surgeons for a revision. RNY-DS revision is NOT a virgin DS and Fang is NOT qualified. Period. Juarez is a criminal, so if you go to him there's no talking to you.

There's the bottom line for AZ and revisions. There isn't a viable virgin DS surgeon in AZ, much less a revision surgeon. If you want a DS-RNY revision, you're going to have to travel. So, are you going to travel or not? That's decision number one.

If you're willing to travel, then we can talk further. If you're determined to stay in AZ, don't bother.

Modest Vixen
on 8/17/11 2:06 pm - Surprise, AZ
Dr J did my mom's RNY and Fang did mine. I hate their office, but I am not familiar with recent stuff going on because they wouldn't see me while I was pregnant. Should I seek out Blackstone and see if she will pick up my follow up care until I can get out of state coverage? In your opinion of course :)

~*Crystal*~

HW-327/SW-313/CW-271/Doc's Goal:150 ......Awaiting Revision to DS     
Post RNY baby born 6 weeks early, Jaelyn Mary Christine May 9th, 2011    

Elizabeth N.
on 8/18/11 2:07 am - Burlington County, NJ
Someone needs to follow you who has a clue, for sure. And yes, you should wait until you can get to a real DS REVISION surgeon. Do NOT believe any sweet talking you get from those surgeons about how oh SURE they can do it. They CANNOT.

Look up Juarez on the state med license site. He's a ******g crook and has all the judgment of a gnat.

Look up the story of Stephanie's death a few days ago here on this site. And find the other thread related to the subject, started a day or two later, by Ms Cal Culator, about using butchers for surgery and making stupid choices in surgeons (and hospitals). There are some very useful links within that thread.

Modest Vixen
on 8/18/11 2:14 am - Surprise, AZ
I appreciate the honesty so much you guys have no idea. Makes me hate that I got the surgery where I did the first time. Just blogged about it today, totally didn't know what I was getting myself into, had no education on it from them and just went in blindly. Luckily it didnt cost my life...just my labs but you know, who needs good lab results

Talked to my husband about all of this last night and we decided to give the RNY some time, while saving for possible cash pay out of state. I need to give this damn RNY some honest effort and if I am still sick and still not losing, we can move forward.

~*Crystal*~

Elizabeth N.
on 8/18/11 2:29 am - Burlington County, NJ
Well, thankfully you have lived to learn! So we'll look on the bright side eh? That can be tough to do when you feel like crap, but I talk all the time about how our mind is our most powerful tool/weapon. You may have to struggle on with your cantankerous gut arrangement, but you can ALWAYS grow your strength and health of mind.

I highly recommend hooking up with Vitalady and having her help you build up your nutritional health. I cannot imagine that a practice with such shoddy surgeons gives excellent nutritional followup. You can email her, vitalady at vitalady dot com. Feel free to mention I sent you :-). We just had several wonderful days together while they were here in MT (where I've spent the summer with family).

beemerbeeper
on 8/17/11 1:31 pm - AL
You absolutely have to go with one of the very experienced revision surgeons of which there are only a few.

The RnY to DS is the most complicated of all the DS surgeries and you just can't put yourself in the hands of anyone who hasn't done a ton of these successfully.

~Becky

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/17/11 1:57 pm - Tuvalu

You know...I don't know anything about Fang, but given the OTHER players at that circus, the first thing I would do is avoid that whole place.

I mean...REALLY.   Husted?  Schlesinger?  Juarez? 

Ya know...Mama always said that "water seeks its own level." 

Modest Vixen
on 8/17/11 2:07 pm - Surprise, AZ
When I went to Bridges it was only Juarez and Fang, J did my mother's RNY so I chose Fang. I have heard a lot of negative lately, but aside from Stephanie's passing I am not familiar with specifics. Now you all have me wondering if I need to see out Blackstone for my basic follow up!

~*Crystal*~