Next step...

vitalady
on 8/19/11 6:35 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I've been taking this for years, on and off. I was struggling with the insurance limitation on it.

I get 2 others off insurance as well, because they went generic.

I THINK my last Zofran (generic) might have been paid by insurance, but no matter , since the price for generic is lower for 30 than it was for 12 (on my particular ins copay structure)

I checked Walmart and it was way higher. So, I use Costco, but it is also usually convenient for me to do so. Well, it certainly would be even if I had to drive once.

One time a few years ago, I asked Walgreens for the additional 18 to make 30. Sitting down? $2700. Yeah.

That was then, this is now.

Costco.

On nourishing from your pills. When Don was on jtube, we got nearly everything in but iron. But then we DID get the iron in the last week or so. Used a mortar and pestle for the lumpier ones. We use Bariatric Advantage crystals for calcium.

And protein, we used All Max Iso-natural because it's cheap, and coupla shakes make it smooth. Later, we used some about-to-expire product. I mean, flavor is not an issue, right?

If you can pour 6-7-8 30g mixes in, that would help. You can generally shake up whey in just 4 oz of water, and it goes in pretty fast.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

kat08
on 8/18/11 7:06 am - Matthews, NC
Just wanted to chime in and suggest that you call Walmart and Costco (if you have one nearby) to check their prices on Zofran.  I have found them to be less expensive than the drug stores.
-Kathy
Have you had or are you going to have the DS and live in the Charlotte, NC area?  There is a DS meet up group near you!  PM me for details.
girlygirl1313
on 8/18/11 7:16 am - Davidson, NC
On August 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM Pacific Time, kat08 wrote:
Just wanted to chime in and suggest that you call Walmart and Costco (if you have one nearby) to check their prices on Zofran.  I have found them to be less expensive than the drug stores.
 Yes! and adding to what Kat08 said if there is a Super Target near you check that AND  since you are in NC check Harris Teeter.  I know they have a program that you can join and they give 10% off cash prices when you use your VIC card.

vitalady
on 8/18/11 11:43 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Zofran is now generic! My ins also allows 12 per month. I get my 12 for $5, but I have rx for 90 which I fill at Costco, OFF insurance. Very cheap. Walmart and others are much higher.

you do not have to be a member to fill rx at Costco. Just be sure you say (over and over) OFF insurance. And be sure that it is the generic, so they may have to call your doc to be sure that spot has the "generics ok".
larra
on 8/18/11 11:47 am - bay area, CA

I like the suggestions about Walgrens and Costco, but will also point out that you can file an external appeal regarding the Zofran with whatever mechanism is available in your state. We talk all the time about appeals for denials of surgery, but denials of medically necessary drugs can be appealed as well, you just need your doctor to verify that your problem is severe and that he's tried everything else and nothing else worked.
    No guarantee but it's worth a try.
    On the tongue coating thing, get it looked at. It could be thrush, which would greatly interfere with eating, and which is easily treatable once it's diagnosed.

Larra

Band to DS
on 8/19/11 6:51 am, edited 2/3/12 10:41 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

girlygirl1313
on 8/18/11 12:26 pm - Davidson, NC
 Why is Zofran so controlled?

Ann M.
on 8/18/11 12:56 pm - GA
Even though its generic its still very expensive.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Lisa A.
on 8/18/11 12:41 pm - Windsor, NY
Have you had an upper GI? Do you have reflux? The only reason I'm asking is because I was sick and unable to eat for around 6 months. I threw up each and every day multiple times a day. My doctor put me on protonix and I took zofran. I really had to try hard to hydrate. That is so important. If your not hydrated you will be nauteous. I froze snapples and ate them like slussies. I would make my food and just nibble at it. It could take me an hour to eat food.

I lived on cottage cheese and baby pears. I actually had to restart my self to eat from baby food on up. It is so hard to eat when you are not hungry and have no appetite but you must try. Just stick with it. Hydrate and eat little things (baby food), cottage cheese, protein drinks,etc.. When I was nauteous I would have an ice pop (anything that works for you). Listen to your body and see what works.

After around 6 months I slowly started to feel better. I do wake up each morning still with some nausea but as soon as I get up and start moving it goes away quickly (thank god). I know how awful it is and I had the same "I can't do this for much longer" feeling but hopefully pretty soon things will turn around for you.

Ann M.
on 8/18/11 12:54 pm, edited 8/18/11 12:58 am - GA
Do you mind if I ask what your starting weight was?

Okay here is a trick that might work. There are other medications in the same class as Zofran (anzemet and kytril come to mind). It is possible that your insurance company will let you get all of these filled at the same time (unless their system is programmed to 'catch it'). First check to see if your doctor is willing to write for other drugs in the class (they should work the same way). Then see if your pharmacy will 'run a test claim through' for the other products as well as your Zofran. If you get a rejection then its a no go, if not then you may have some more alternatives if you can get 15 of each. I hope this makes sense.

I also googled and found this link: http://www.rxassist.org/Search/Prog_Details.cfm?program_Id=352&PD_Id=1967&Drug_Id=2626&Company_Id=148&search_type=2

I do not know how reputable they are but it looks like you can get 30 generic Zofran for 30 bucks (assuming you are on the regular tablets not the orally disintegrating ones). I also don't know what strength you take but it comes in an 8 mg and 4 mg tablet so if you are on the 4 mg you can get the 8mg tablets and break them in half. This may save you some money.

Because the generic is out the brand manufacturer does not offer a patient assistant program.

You may want to have your physician call the medical director to discuss your case directly. Surely it is cheaper to pay for the Zofran (and I can gaurantee you that your insurance company is not paying $400 dollars for it) then to have you hospitalized.

I would second what EN says about upping the protein. It be nice to avoid a TPN even if they can put IV Zofran in it for you.

Good Luck

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200