Raw vegetables and Fruits

rubytica
on 8/17/11 3:26 am - GA
Hello Everyone:

I am 7 weeks post op and I was wondering when were you able to eat salads and/or raw fruit.  I know we need to concentrate on protein first but was wondering when can we eat salads (baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumbres).  I was told 3 months after surgery, is that accurate?

Thanks
Ruby
Kayla B.
on 8/17/11 4:13 am - Austin, TX
I tried frozen peaches and applesauce just a couple weeks after surgery.  I felt like they were really soothing on my very nauseated belly.  I think I had a few bites of salad at a time around 3-4 months out.

With fruits and vegetables...they don't really upset my stomach, but they do come out looking very similar to the way they looked going in, if you catch my drift.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Julie R.
on 8/17/11 4:50 am - Ludington, MI
Well, I had a cast iron stomach, so it's one of those "your results may vary" things, but I started eating salad at *gasp!* about six weeks out.   I didn't visit the salad bar at Ruby Tuesdays and load my plate up to the ceiling, but ordered a salad with meat, ate the meat, and a few bites of salad.   I get nervous if I don't have fresh vegetables every day.    I did not actively eat fruit until I was below goal, because it was too high in carbs.

Nowadays, I eat raw or fresh veggies every day, and eat some fruit once a week or so.    I've never been a huge fruit craver, and still have to remind myself to eat it.  I only like fresh fruit that's in season, so these days I'm enjoying watermelon and blueberries!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

rubytica
on 8/17/11 5:03 am - GA
Thank you ladies.  I will do like you said try a couple of bites and see what happens.  I am just craving salads lately, I will hold on with the fruits for now.

Thanks again
Ruby
Elizabeth N.
on 8/17/11 5:25 am - Burlington County, NJ
spinach, tomatoes and cukes were all things I had to wait a while to tolerate. I had my first salad like stuff with "Asian slaw" sometime around a couple months out. Raw carrots were among my first raw veggies, and cruciferous veggies like cabbage (see the slaw) and cauliflower.

Green beans, of all things, gave me fits for a couple of years!

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/17/11 8:52 am
Green beans are on my "evil" list, too 

A couple of those and I toss my cookies.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

teachmid
on 8/17/11 6:46 am - OKC, OK
I was able to eat 2 or 3 green beans after about 3 months and would occasionally put a few berries on my yogurt, now, 8 months out, I eat a small tomato and some avacado almost every day; can eat a few bites of ceasear salad; I can't do cucumbers at all.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

elixir
on 8/17/11 9:16 am - MI
I ate a few bites of avocado around four weeks out and a couple bites of spinach around six weeks out. I haven't eaten any full-fledged salads yet. I keep in contact with another of my surgeon's patients who had surgery a couple days before I did (she doesn't post on the forums) and she started eating salads with meat at six weeks. I've actually been craving a grilled chicken BLT salad from my favorite deli so maybe that's what I'll pick up for lunch tomorrow. It'll probably take me two days to eat it though. I was pretty much cleared to eat anything at my six week appointment.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

rubytica
on 8/17/11 9:35 am - GA
Let me know how it goes when you eat the salad; I am craving salads too but I am afraid to eat them.  Thanks for your reply.

Ruby