If there is such a thing as "average weight loss"...

kramer5
on 8/17/11 2:26 am - Washington, KS
I've tried researching this but one thing I don't like about the site search (unless I'm doing something wrong) is that I can't do a search on just the DS board. 

I wanted to see if there was a post concerning "average weight loss per week or month" for DS patients.  When I put the search terms in I get everything concerning weight loss on the Board and I'll be 100 by the time I go through each post and realize that it's a Lapband, RNY, Sleeve board, etc.

If there's already a post and I'm just not finding it (or if I'm searching wrong) please let me know, if not would people be willing to share the following:

Revision or virgin
Starting weight
Average weight loss per week and/or month (I'm assuming that as you begin to get closer to your goal weight you lose weight slower, if I'm wrong please let me know)
Total weight loss and how long it took you to reach goal

I know that many of you provide this in your signature line but other than going on this forum and click on each and every person I don't know how to find this info.  I understand that everyone loses differently and that a revision may lose differently than a virgin but I just wanted to see some numbers from real people, as opposed to basic info about the DS on a website.

Thanks,
Dawn

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/17/11 2:30 am - Tuvalu

"I wanted to see if there was a post concerning "average weight loss per week or month" for DS patients."

If there is, whoever wrote is is full of ****

I think you're overthinking some parts of this.

kramer5
on 8/17/11 2:49 am - Washington, KS
I live in a super tiny town and my PCP has never worked with a DS patient and was interested in learning more and this was one of the things we talked about when I was talking to him about the surgery.  I was trying to get him a little info about real people to go along with some of the info I gave him from DS Facts.

I was his first, and maybe his only, lapband patient and he was very open to learning about that as well.  There have been quite a few people in my area to get the gastric bypass so he's seen that and is non-plussed with the results.  After looking at all the info I gave him he agreed that the DS seems to be the best surgery and thinks I'll do great with it and even told me that he'll want to monitor my lab results closely (thought that was great news!).
Dawn

Renee2007
on 8/17/11 2:41 am - Central, FL
 There is a post a little farther down this page titled "Lab Rat Data". There used to be a site that we entered that information in and it was an easy way to look at and compare everything. That site has been terminated and is graciously being reconstructed by another member.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

kramer5
on 8/17/11 2:50 am - Washington, KS
Thanks Renee, I'll check it out.
Dawn

Judi J.
on 8/17/11 2:50 am - MN
Carolyn, a DSer who is no longer a member of OH had some great stuff on her profile. She never minded me copying it as long as I gave her credit.

Even though I had RNY, these are the %'s she had and it always made me feel better:

excess body weight percentage of loss goals:

2 months 25%
6 months 50%
1 yr          80%

these are more realistic goals since a person who needs to lose 200 pounds will lose more POUNDS than a person who needs to lose 100 pounds

good luck!
kramer5
on 8/17/11 2:51 am - Washington, KS
Thanks Judi!
Dawn

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/17/11 2:55 am, edited 8/17/11 2:55 am - Tuvalu

What everyone else said is right...but there still is no answer to what you asked.  There is no average weight loss per week or per month for DS patients.  It varies WILDLY.

And just as an example...I lost EIGHT TIMES the weight in the first month that I did in the third or fourth (I don't remember which now.) 

kramer5
on 8/17/11 3:00 am - Washington, KS
Thanks Ms. Cal Culator...I'll be sure to let him know, though I'm sure he's seen this in bypass patients as well.
Dawn

ModestoK
on 8/17/11 3:05 am
I had this bookmarked from when I was a noobie.
This is how I learned how to search for DS specific info.

If you want to search a particular topic, you can find darn near anything by going to http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en and entering http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/ in the Search within a site or domain text box (last one).

Also, you might want to give your doctor copies of some of the standard DS research.  Although each person's mileage will vary and your stats will be different (read slower) if you are a revision, it can give them an overview of the surgery and expected outcomes.   You can research DS studies on PubMed.

Kim
                                      ~  Kim  ~

HW - 283        SW - 257.5     Goal - 156
Thanks to all the DS vets who have paid it forward - I <3 you guys!  
Looking for DS support & information?   Check out :     http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi