Please help with eating.

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 1:49 pm
I can't eat anymore.
I don't think I'm anorexic or bulimic or anything of the sort.
But three months out, nothing, nothing sounds good. Two bites, two swallows, and I can't do anymore. I don't know what to do.
I even have this veggie market thing---they deliver food every week--I've been freezing everything this year and this week I even FORGET about the food I'VE PAID FOR ALREADY. Because I don't want to eat it or anything else. Filet. Forget it. I don't care.
If I were losing weight like crazy, I would be okay, but I'm not. I think I'm probably starving and don't know it, but I CANNOT eat.
Can anyone relate? Is there anything to help? (Surgeon's office is a half country away.)
I should mention that I'm under crazy amounts of work pressure, but it does not help to have no fuel. I could have the most fab meal put under me and I CANNOT EAT IT.
divakay2
on 8/16/11 2:18 pm
Could it be psychosomatic?What was your relationship with food prior to surg?It's obvious you are able to tolerate liquids and have some intake or you would have been hospitalized by now for dehydration.IMO there's no signs or symptoms other than your unwillingness from what you stated.....................................Kenya
Elizabeth N.
on 8/16/11 4:16 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I see a whole BUNCH of possibilitie from what she stated. How new are you at this?

Elizabeth N.
on 8/16/11 4:15 pm - Burlington County, NJ
What do you mean by you "can't eat"? You get full? Lose appetite? Get repulsed? What?

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 4:52 pm
Get repulsed is nearest, I suppose. Things look okay, but then, ugh.
MajorMom
on 8/16/11 7:23 pm - VA
I think it's pretty normal to go through phases where nothing is appealing. If you're stressed, even more so. I got to a point a few times that I felt it was either too much trouble or just not worth it. I've been lucky that I do like my protein shakes and am able to keep going with those. Food usually bores me and I'd rather just graze and nibble.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 8:08 pm, edited 8/16/11 8:23 pm
Thanks MM, that's about the closest.

I'm just turned off by everything, so I'm not getting in my nutrition. Two bites of anything, ugh. Two sips of protein shake, ugh. It seems so abnormal, BECAUSE IT IS, and I have no explanation. It's not like chicken seems better than beef or lobster seems better than shrimp. It all seems fine, until it's on a plate, and then, ugh, I turn away.

I need to eat.

I've never been a picky eater, but this is not even about "picky." It's about eating, period. Eating itself.

Editing here: I just don't understand this. Going to the cutter (surgeon) is not gonna help anything. He did a good job for his part. Finding more appetizing foods...well, it's not about that since we can have protein drowned in fats. I've talked to my shrink, who doesn't have a DS, and she's puzzled, so I'm back with you guys (not that you guys weren't my first stop anyhoo).

newyorkbitch
on 8/16/11 9:08 pm
What about drinking?  Protein shakes,  protein-rich soups...
Elizabeth N.
on 8/17/11 12:47 am - Burlington County, NJ
Ah, okay.

If you're three months out, it's time for first labs. Stuff that you are missing nutritionally might be impacting how you feel so that this repulsion gets worse (by feeling cruddy in some way).

Unfortunately, your life depends on you getting in adequate nutrition, so it does not matter how repulsed you are. You have to gag it down hon. By not eating, you are getting worse FAST. There are a couple people on here (who I hope will respond if they haven't already) who have suffered with malnutrition and gotten on TPN, which improved their outlook quickly.

That's where you are headed if you don't get your stuff in. I don't care if you have to live on protein shakes, meal replacements and supplement pills for a while. YOU MUST GET IN THE NUTRITION.

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Food is gonna have to be your life-or-death medicine if you can't get your tastebuds interested for a while.

NoreenRT
on 8/16/11 10:43 pm - Warner Robins, GA

{{{{eloisie}}}} i have nothing really to offer.  i was the same way at 3 months out.  thought i was hungry, food sounded good in my head, put it on the plate, took a bite and thought i was going to bring it back up.  it tasted disgusting.
that's when i found protein coffees.  hot, cold, room temp.  i knew i had to keep sipping to save my health.  10 oz would take me hours and hours to finish, but i kept at it.
you'll get this figured out.  in the meantime, sending you some hugs. 

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)