Starting vitamin regimen

MomToTeens
on 8/16/11 1:32 pm - OH
I received my Vitalady vitamin shipment today (well, except the B vitamins...they're backordered).  I've been taking multi's and calcium citrate since surgery.

Do I just jump right in?  I ordered the tender iron and mag oxide to take with it.  I'm afraid it will constipate me, as prior to surgery I always had that problem.  Is it best to ease into it?

Advice and experience welcome!

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 2:40 pm - Beverly, NJ
I'm a newbie too so I can only tell you what I know.

Do NOT jump right into the irons. I mean ok, so you can but your poops gonna be funky and possibly constipate you. Ease into them. I jumped right into them and freaked out when my poop looked like green tar. I called my dr crying, I swear the nurse giggled at me when I told her about my vites. lol

After my iron episode what I did was add a new vitamin every day. Some days I added two depending on what it was and how I felt. Make sure when you take your iron it's with vitamin c (if it's vitalady's Tender Iron (big reddish orange pill) it already has vitamin c in it). Follow the directions on vitaladys schedule for timing of iron.

The vets should be in here soon to tell you what I'm sure I missed or have better ideas for you.

Good luck!
Elizabeth N.
on 8/17/11 1:04 am - Burlington County, NJ

Take your time with this. You're only a couple weeks out. You need HYDRATION above all.

Start by adding one or two pills a day. When those are easy, add a couple more. Never overfill so that you can't get in enough hydration.

beemerbeeper
on 8/17/11 1:29 am - AL
Just build up.  Especially with the iron.  You can take the Mag Oxide with your Calcium and take Vit C with your iron.

As you build up your iron you can build up your Mag Oxide. Your poop will be your guide.

~Becky

MomToTeens
on 8/17/11 2:38 am - OH
Thank you everyone!  Just the information I needed...

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

Imissthe80s
on 8/17/11 6:10 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
What about adding a probiotic? At what point should this be done? I've never taken them as a pre-op, so I'm not too sure about how they work really.  I mean, do they prevent gas or is that wishful thinking? Is there anything that prevents gas altogether?