exhaustion and iron X post

Jessie T
on 8/16/11 6:39 am - Boonies, MN
  complaining here! I'm so sick of being exhausted. I go to bed between 10 and 10:30 up by 6:30 or 7 am. NEED a nap every day for at least an hour, sometimes two. Even at that I'm still feeling like I can barely get through mundane chores. I stay at home with the kids so its not like I have a "real" job, thank GOD! Here is the
back story if you are interested...
Two year ago I had a ferritin of 8, so... my PHP had me doing weely iron shots in my ass OUCH! After two and a half months ferritin went up to 12 and he stopped te shots. Sept 2010 I went in for my annual blood work with a new Dr. and feritin was at 13. I was taking vitalady tender iron about 5 days a week. I asked if the new Dr if she'd give me iron infusions and shesaid no because the rest of my iron tests were "normal", with the total iron a 71 (range 40-175), iron binding capacity 582 (range 250-450), saturation 12%, HGB 13.9 (range 12-16). OK. so I had more blood work done May 2011. Ferritin is up to a WHOPPING 14, satuation is 14%, HGB 14 (range 12-18). I thought I was feelin a tiny bit better and takin the BC pill every day as to not get a period. I didn't have one for a year up to that point. DH got a vasectomy so I thought I'd go off the pill to save money. WRONG!!! The first month I barely bled but, the next (which happend to fall on the 4th of July grr) I had the period from HELL bleeding through a super plus every hour for a couple days then didn't stop for a full week. Since then I have been WIPED OUT! I used to be able to walk fast pushing a stroller for an hour, now I have to go at a leisurely pace or feel like I weigh a ton. My question is, Do you think that last period took out my little bit of iron stores? I'm going to make an appointment with Dr. Vercellotti at the UofM who is recomended and regularly prescribes iron infusions but, it's extremely hard when DH works two full time jobs with a crazy schedule to make an appointment. Thank you for listening and any advice you have to give. PS...I've upped my tender iron to 2 per night and started drinking 75 grams of protein shakes as my total protein is trending down.

rubytica
on 8/16/11 7:30 am - GA
Have you ever been checked for sleep apnea?  Most of your symptoms sound like sleep apnea.
Jessie T
on 8/16/11 8:24 am - Boonies, MN
No, never been checked for sleep apenea, I don't snore at all. If I did I'd wake my self up  because I'm such a light sleeper. I have lots of anxiey so the lightest noise wakes me. I didn't have apenea when I was heavy, does it usually come on once people loose weight?

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 7:41 am - Lafayette, IN
my hematologist insisted on an infusion when my ferritin was 14 and all my other #'s were "normal". that period could have well depleted the last of your stores. i would be seeing a dr asap.
Jessie T
on 8/16/11 8:26 am - Boonies, MN
I am definately making an appointment. As Mom, my needs get put on the back burner. With DH working so much and school starting, I just can't find time to go, especially because it's an hour drive each way!

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 8:36 am - Lafayette, IN
i understand what you mean about taking to the back burner but you also have to remember..... how can you take care of your little ones if you are too sick. by getting yourself better, you ARE taking care of them. you really MUST make the time. i know it is easier said than done as i fight the same tendency to take care of everyone else first. try to remember..... YOU are just as important as anyone else in your family (if not more so cause without you who would take care of them)!
nightowl
on 8/16/11 9:22 am - Topeka, KS
Do you know any other SAHMs or dads who would agree to watch your children while you go to medical appointments, and you agree to watch their children another day when they need to have adult appointments?  That way, no money would need to be exchanged.  (Or, would that be too much to handle with your low iron exhaustion?)  Otherwise, could you offer to pay a friend to watch yours while you have an appointment, or, see if someone around you does home daycare and would agree to just occasional business from you?
I'm also trying to raise my iron, but I don't have the challenges you do in the family responsibility dept.
Jessie T
on 8/16/11 9:44 am - Boonies, MN
I really don't have the energy to deal with anyone's kids even if there were some I could swap. Mine know the routine here and I know how they behave. Other kids, I feel like I have to be right on top of what they are doing because I don't know them. I will be making the appointment soon, Just have to get through the next couple weeks. My Mom might be able to take off work for me to go in for the infusion if DH is too busy. 

It's just hard for me to get my head around the fact that low iron can make you feel so run down!

I have a friend who is 6 years out from a RNY and didn't take any suppliments for the first 4-5 years. Finally she felt so crappy and went in for blood work. The Dr told her her hemoglobin was 6.6 or something crazy and that she was at risk of dieing if she exerted herself and not to exercise AT ALL. The dr recomended infusions immediately and this friend refused saying she'd just take iron pills...

nightowl
on 8/16/11 3:41 pm - Topeka, KS
I pray you are able to find relief.
Jessie T
on 8/16/11 10:05 pm - Boonies, MN
Thank you Nightowl!