Dr Stewart patients! Especially if you traveled....

Nissa_M
on 8/16/11 11:12 am - TX
I need some help. I am leaving from Austin to Dallas next Monday and I'm wondering if I should get a hotel close to the hospital  or closer to Denton (I'll have my car). My mother, husband, and children are going to be staying in the hotel up there while I'm admitted so it's a weeks worth of hotel stay minimum I'm guessing. I want something reasonable, close (but not too close) and with a pool and pets allowed. The kids will be less likely to be "bored" if there's a pool and I'm hoping it would also keep them at the hotel more often. I don't want them up at the hospital too much, but they won't be persuaded to stay here in Austin.

Any advice would be appreciated.
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 12:45 pm - TX
I am having my surgery on August 31st, I got my wife a room at Homewood inn and suites, it is just down the road about a mile from north texas hostpital and they have a great pool.
MizCharlotte
on 8/16/11 2:07 pm - Spring, TX
Which hospital are you having surgery at?  Mine was at Forest Park in Dallas. 

If your surgery is in Denton, you should check out the new LaQuinta on University Drive.  All La Qunitas allow pets for no extra fee.  It is about a ten minute drive from Dr. Stewarts office, but it just opened last fall and is pretty nice.  It has a pool and free breakfast, also free internet service.  There is another one closer to his office, but it is older.

The night before surgery, I stayed at the LaQuinta closest to Forest Park - it is only about 5 minutes away, but it is an old hotel and not in a very good location.  I dont know if I would stay there again, especially if you have children in your group.
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 2:10 pm
DS on 02/01/12
I was under the impression that Dr. Stewart used more than one hospital; one in Plano and another in Carrollton. Seems like I even read that he works out of Forest Park Medical Center on occasion. Is this untrue? If so, what hospital does he work out of? I don't live too far away from his office, only about an hour.
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 8:30 am
Currently Dr. Stewart works out of:

Baylor in Carrollton
North Texas Hospital in Denton
Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas

Forest Park Medical Center is building a hospital in Frisco, TX.  Once that opens in June 2012 he will be operating mainly out of that location.  He'll most likely stop operating in Dallas altogether at that point (They're going to completely close the current Forest Park in Dallas soon so they can remodel it completely even though it's practically brand new.  They'll relocate into the new building they're building right next to it).
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 9:53 am
DS on 02/01/12
Interesting that they're closing the facility. I received an e-mail from Barker's staff stating that his office is moving from their current location to an office inside of Forest Park Medical Center sometime in August.
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 10:19 am
 They'll just be shutting down that building and relocating to the building right next door on the same campus when the time comes.  Once it's remodeled, it will re-open, but I'm not sure what they will use it for.  I'm sure Dr. Barker will relocate his office there.  They're just reshuffling things sometime soon. 
Nissa_M
on 8/16/11 2:13 pm - TX
I am going to be at Forest Park as well. I looked at the La Quinta on the expressway there and then the motel 6 that's up north a bit, but still close. Both are reasonable cost and somewhat close, have pools and allow pets. I'm thinking I'll stay in Denton until Wednesday, move the kids closer to the hospital and then check in to the hospital. 

Does the hospital allow your spouse to stay with you overnight? Private rooms? 

Thanks!  
MizCharlotte
on 8/16/11 2:40 pm - Spring, TX

Yes, they do.  They have a nice recliner and a long sofa suitable for sleeping on.

Don't stay at that La Quinta on the expressway.  Thats the one I stayed at and I am not sure its great for a family.

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 2:45 pm
DS on 02/01/12
I live literally 5 minutes from Forest Park. If you'd like, I can scan the area and get you the best prices for quality.