Thoughts on surgeon that has worked with Dr. Ungson

kramer5
on 8/14/11 3:35 pm - Washington, KS
I've been praying for a sign on what I should do and then tonight I see that one of our members passed away after her surgery.  I realize that we don't know yet why, but it's really making me question my decision.  The main reason is because I was considering using a surgeon that is newer at the DS but that Dr. Ungson in Mexico helps assist with, but Dr. Ungson wouldn't be assisting with my surgery.

At first I thought that if Dr. Ungson had assisted him in the past that this would make him safer, but now I'm questioning that thought.  He's done close to 100 DSes with no complications (this is what I'm being told by his group or team or whatever you call them).  The surgeon is Dr. Alejandro Lopez and I believe his wife is also a surgeon.

I know that everyone has a lot of faith in Dr. Ungson and I wish I could go with him but unfortunately my father is paying for my surgery and it is out of his price range (he's about double what Dr. Lopez is).  What are your thoughts on using Dr. Lopez since he's been assisted by Dr. Ungson in the past?

I think that if you guys believe that this is not a wise choice then I'll be putting aside the DS choice for now.

Thanks
Dawn

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 3:54 pm - San Jose, CA
I'm sorry to say this, but MY thought is NO F'ING WAY.  You are worth keeping alive, even if more expensively than a cut-rate surgeon would charge.
Diane Davis
on 8/14/11 4:01 pm
I agree with Diana!

This is a serious major surgery with your life at risk!  Why lower the odds of a successful surgery and possibly risk your life over the money you would be saving on this other surgeon?

Our lives are worth something or we wouldn't be putting ourselves through this.  Would you risk this if it was your child needing the surgery?
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 4:15 pm - Beverly, NJ
Don't risk it! In my heart I feel like Stephanie settled. She really wanted this surgery and went through hell getting there. As friends we told her to run and find another surgeon but she had a million reasons why she stuck with the one she did.
We don't know why she passed yet. But to be honest at this point it's hard not to point fingers. Yes I understand no surgeon walks into surgery planning on losing a patient but IMHO he wasn't skilled enough to do her revision.
Don't even take the chance to end up with complications from this surgery.
If that's all your dad will pay for start saving up now to pay for the rest. Even if it takes you years.
You can't put a price tag on your life. I believe that someone thats smart enough to ask these questions is smart enough to know she shouldn't be making the choice that could harm her.
goodkel
on 8/14/11 4:19 pm
You wanted a sign? StephOinAZ just sent you one.

NO! NO! NO!

Walking someone through a surgery or two does not automatically confer the talents of the experienced surgeon on the student.

Dr. Ungson has his own practice in Hermosillo. The DS does not come SAFELY any less expensively. What is it now? $13k plus travel expenses? That is already enough of a bargain, if you've priced self pay rates in the US.

Get a second job at Starbuck's and have their insurance pay for it if Dr. U. is too expensive for you.

Decide that you are worth the effort.

First you are willing to risk your life by having a complicated surgery with an unknown surgeon against all advice to the contrary.

Then you say you are willing to throw it ALL away rather than make the effort to get the DS.

You're giving up on yourself too easily in both cases.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/14/11 4:22 pm - Tuvalu

No, because I don't believe him.  Seems to me that a dirt cheap experienced DS surgeon with 100 procedures under his belt would have had at least ONE happy patient show up here.

Kathleen F.
on 8/14/11 4:47 pm
I say no. Especially as you are a revision. Much wiser to wait until you do have the money/insurance to have the procedure with a well known, highly experienced, recommended surgeon for a revision.
kramer5
on 8/14/11 4:48 pm - Washington, KS
Thanks everyone...You have helped me solidfy what was already in my mind.  I'm going to save up and go to Dr. Ungson.  In the meantime I'm going to commit to all the things I was going to do after my DS.  I promised myself that once I got the DS I would eat better, exercise more, and take care of myself.  There's no reason why I can't do all those things while saving up the money to have this done correctly...I'll be that much healthier and maybe I can get my band to work with me (oh how I hate my band...LOL).

The signs have been coming in strong and steady this evening.  We received a call about 15 minutes ago that my father-in-law was admitted to the hospital so going to have surgery now wouldn't be an option with any doctor as I want to be here for my husband.  It definitely pays to listen to your heart and those who have more experience!

Thanks again,
Dawn

goodkel
on 8/14/11 6:13 pm
Whew! Thank YOU for coming to your senses.

Hermosillo is a one hour flight from Phoenix. I arrived late Sunday afternoon (for a Monday morning surgery) and one of Dr.U.'s office staff picked me up from the airport and took me directly to the hospital. I was x-rayed and gave a little blood sample before being shown to my room. All the rooms are private and have a full sized couch that your companion (if you bring one) can sleep on while you are in the hospital. You'll also have a private bathroom with a shower. There is a cafeteria in the lobby that is inexpensive and the food is supposedly delicious, from what I heard. There is also a small newstand kind of shop that sells magazines, candy, flowers, and snack foods.  The tv has a small selection of American language channels. I remember watching a lot of TNT. After about 4 days, if everything is ok and you have pooped, you are released to the hotel.

The Colonial Hotel was very clean and modern and my room overlooked a coutyard with a lovely pool. The beds are as hard as concrete, though, and some people rent a recliner they have available for Dr. U.'s patients and some sleep in that. They have internet on a business office pc in the lobby if you don't bring a lap top. There is a diner/restaurant adjacent that also provides room service to the hotel.They have a coin operated laundry room (US currency) and a machine that sells detergent. There is a Wal-Mart about a $5 cab ride away that many patients visit to stock up on drinks and other supplies for their hotel room. Plus all that walking is perfect post op exercise. You may meet other patients in the hotel and share a cab ride. Dr.U's staff drove me to the hotel and got me checked in. The Colonial provides discounts to Dr. U.'s patients and it is also where his nurses will be checking up on you during your stay.

The total time I was told I needed to be in MX was ten days. I arrived on a Sunday and left on a Tuesday mid morning. I was given a ride back to the hospital to finish up some forgotten paperwork and then they called a cab for me to the airport. Being on pain meds, I don't remember and couldn't calculate the difference in currency, but I believe I gave the driver about $12 and he seemed very happy. I used my American currency and debit card the entire time. I never had to exchange money.

I had to pay $250 for the prescriptions I needed upon checking out of the hospital. Pain meds, antbiotics, Heparin shots, maybe other stuff.

So, all told on top of the surgery (mine was $12k) and airfare, you're looking at 5 nights in the hotel for about $85/night. Meals for your companion--I went alone. Whatever your prescriptions might cost--he'll give you a ballpark figure before you leave for Mexico. And a little walking around money for water, broth, and whatever you want to get at Wal-Mart. I believe there is also a mall nearby.

I had a minor complication and had to stay in the hospital until Monday before my departure day so I missed most of the hotel experience having only spent one night. I did do a load of laundy and ordered chicken soup for a couple of bucks (just drank the broth--delicious) from room service, but that was it. I was charged $100/day for my hospital room, meals, and nursing care for the extra hospital days and absolutely NOTHING for my second surgery, tests, or any surgery costs at all. So, it cost me about $15/day more than it would have at the hotel and that's it.

Undertand this is four years old info and I think I've read where he is including the hotel stay in his price--maybe to prevent people from leaving too soon. But, it is still a GREAT deal and the extra costs are VERY reasonable.

I just wanted to give you an idea of what you are looking at financially to help you plan.

YAY! I am SO glad you are waiting to do this safely!
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Rena H.
on 8/14/11 7:30 pm - Spokane, WA
 there is a new mall like right down the road from the hotel. It is beautiful and has a movie theater. We went and watched the new Alice in Wonderland (in english) just for something fun to do.
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150