Birth Control PMS RAGE! (another bc quetion)

newyorkbitch
on 8/14/11 5:10 am
Spermicides are advised for many barrier methods but not with a correctly used cervical cap.  With a cervical cap you have to be fitted by a gynecologist and really learn how to put it in correctly.    Since cervical caps are left in for a good long while (if you want to),  the spermicide wouldn't work that whole time anyway.

I work in the field of infertility and I'm a Planned Parenthood counselor.  Ask away.  I myself miscarried twice,  did many IVF cycles before having a healthy baby in January,  at 11 years post-op.

Do you know the reason for your miscarriages?  At what week did you miscarry both times?  Did you conceive easily?

Lots of PP counselors recommend spermicides always because too many people do not use barrier methods correctly or consistently so the spermicide is an extra layer of protection,  as it were...

honeybadger 11
on 8/14/11 5:26 am - FL

I conceive VERY easily IF im watching my cycle. Wasnt able to conceive for the first year then did a HSG and found out that i has stenosis of the vaginal cervix and since they fixed it with the procedure we got preg the next time we were able to try. Miscarried at 7 weeks with that preg but dr was not concerned as i was told its commom SO wait the 3 month my dr recommended and conceive on the 2 month after that then miscarried at 6 weeks. I did a vag U/S with both and neither preg had a fetal pole:(

I did all the basic bloodwork...i forget what they are now but im sure you know! Everything came back normal. I was seeing a high risk OB at the time and wanted to move onto a Reproductive Endo but with the miscarriages i gained weight (not that i wasnt already MO) and decided that i needed to get my weight under control for the health of myself and any future babies. Granted that was the orginal reason i got the lapband...boy what a joke this thing has been!

My brillant GYN i have now is not happy with my previous OB and definitely feels there is something very specific happening due to the fact that i miscarried at almost the same time with both pregnanies. She will be referring me to a repro endo when im ready.

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

newyorkbitch
on 8/14/11 5:51 am
Good good.  Make sure you have a thorough recurrent pregnancy loss workup before you TTC again.  That means an immunological workup too.  If the RE you go to doesn't do that - come back and ask me.  And in the meantime read up about RPL testing and causes.  Start with:

http://www.rialab.com/

Also talk to your RE about an endometrial biopsy if appropriate.  You may have what is known as implantation failure....

...since you are pretty young,  if your FSH and AMH are normal,  as is your AFC...and your husband's sperm tests normal...chances are it is not an embryo quality issue.  You have to get to the bottom of what is happening.  Do not,  DO NOT under any cir****tances use fertility meds with  IUI.   If anybody recommends that you do, run screaming from their office.

What state do you live in?
honeybadger 11
on 8/14/11 6:02 am - FL

Awesome...im gonna bookmark this so i can refer back to your info:) Since i seem to get preg easy i never consider fertility meds but im glad you told me this just in case in the future it comes up.

Im in bradenton, fl. on the west coast just below tampa and there are several good RE in tampa that ive had recommendations to, the one i will more than likely use is out of USF and helped get my friend pregnant after she was diagnosed with POF, which was an incredible miracle! I will do as youve told me and im gonna pull out my records from my old OB and make sure he ran the tests youve mentioned above (i got all my records because i knew i wouldnt be going back to him.) We did do the sperm test and everything did come back normal.

~Jennifer

newyorkbitch
on 8/14/11 6:07 am
If you miscarry again (at age 33-ish),  then you MUST have the fetal matter tested if possible.  If it's normal,  then you have to figure out why your body is rejecting your embryo's implantation. That can be verrrrrrrry tricky and not every RE is going to be up for the job.  Just because a particular doctor helped get your friend pregnant with POF has NOTHING to do with what may be your issue.   Different REs specialize (and are good at) different things.

No different than the way we talk about surgeons here. 

honeybadger 11
on 8/14/11 6:34 am - FL

I totally agree with you on the RE. I plan to take the list i have from my GYN and a few friends and do research and find the dr that will hopefully find my problem. I have no problem switching dr so if i feel they are not for me i wont mind moving on. We spent 2 yrs TTC and as you know it was incredibly stressful and i dont what to have to go thru it again (not really up to me but i will do all i can to prevent it:)

Thanks again for everything. Im sure i will be consulting you again in the future!

~Jennifer

Nissa_M
on 8/14/11 4:39 am - TX
My body rejects the Nuvaring at every attempt so it's a no go for me. Right now we are using condoms + spermicide as a pre-op. I'm planning to continue that post-op. I haven't found anything that I'm totally comfortable with aside from these. We also plan to ttc when my weight stabilizes and Dr. approves.
newyorkbitch
on 8/14/11 4:57 am
Try a cervical cap.  Easy to get in,  not as easy to get out,  but no re-gooping (like with a diaphragm) and once it's in, you can leave it in for 48 hours and you don't feel it and neither does he.  Fits around the cervice like a bell - looks sorta like an oversized baby bottle nipple.

Restores spontaneity - you don't have to stop what you're doing to put it in - just put it in hours before you might need it,  leave it in and forget about it for a day or two,  then take it out,  clean it,  put it back hours before you might need it next....like that.

Condoms are such a drag.

honeybadger 11
on 8/14/11 5:07 am - FL
HA! condoms are such a drag! My hubby and ive never used them together and arent looking forward to the idea of have to use them! so kills the mood! This BC stuff is the pits but a necessary evil. The cap looks very promising:) Thanks again! 

~Jennifer

newyorkbitch
on 8/14/11 6:23 am
You may need help getting it out (it creates sort of a suction vacuum seal around the cervix, which is a good thing)...but that's kinda fun.