Birth Control PMS RAGE! (another bc quetion)

honeybadger 11
on 8/14/11 12:11 am - FL

After a 4yr hiatus of BC ive been on the Nuvaring for the last 2 months to prepare for the DS. PROBLEM! it gives me debilitating headaches when i take it out. i have solved that by just putting the next ring in BUT im constantly in a PMS RAGE and if my hormones dont even out soon im gonna kill my poor unsuspecting hubby }:)

SO my question is...anyone using the Nuvaring experience this? Will the hormones level off soon?

AND anyone use the barrier method ONLY with the DS and have success? I figure if we have to use condoms anyways with the Nuvaring maybe i should just get a diaphragm instead of the Nuvaring and still use condoms:)

Side note we plan to start TTC as soon as my weight stabilizes and im cleared by the doc so i dont want to use an IUD. Plus my copper was crazy high so paraguard is definitely out.

Thanks for any enlightenment!

jen

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

newyorkbitch
on 8/14/11 12:17 am, edited 8/14/11 12:20 am
Try a cervical cap.

How old are you?

honeybadger 11
on 8/14/11 12:51 am - FL
I just turned 31

~Jennifer

honeybadger 11
on 8/14/11 12:56 am - FL
And i did look into the cap but to user failure rate was higher with it, 14 out of 100 compared to 6 out of 100 with diaphragm so i shied away from it. Is it easier to use?

~Jennifer

Emily F.
on 8/14/11 1:00 am
I did use the sponge barrier method but it has a high rate of pregnancy, at the time it wouldn't have been horrible if we had gotten pregnant and nuvaring and bc makes me a crazy *****

I would still suggest the Mirena even if you are only going to use it for two years.
LuckyLibrarian
on 8/14/11 2:38 am - Plumerville, AR
I used the nuva ring for over 3 years with no side effects. I constantly kept one in, skipping my period. Never had the pms symptoms. Hang in there.
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 4:11 am, edited 8/14/11 4:21 am - OH
I second Emily's recommendation for Mirena. I have had it in for a year and have had no side effects. My periods are super light and only last 2 days (woohoo). It has a very, very low dose of hormones in it so you shouldn't have the mood swings.

It does last for up to 5 years, but you can remove it whenever you are ready to start trying and fertility generally returns very quickly. It's like 99.8% effective, and it doesn't contain copper. Your choice...but I absolutly LOVE my Mirena.
newyorkbitch
on 8/14/11 4:21 am
Don't use an IUD at your age if you've never had children and you want to.    Although small,  there is a risk and it's just not worth it.

Aside from barrier methods (and I highly recommend the cervical cap over a sponge or diaphragm),  have you considered one of the injection methods,  where you get in injection every 3 months and have a period only 4 times a year?    That might be a good solution for you.
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 4:44 am - OH
I just have to add a note here about the injectable BC.  The one you get every 3 months is the Depo shot.  It is terrible! You don't only have a period 4 times a year...you spot constantly.  It also causes significant weight gain, and it usually takes at least a year(often 18 months) for fertility to return once it is stopped. It also made me very hormonal.

There is another injectable called Lunelle, that you have to get every month. I've never tried this, but it's supposed to have less side effects and fertility returns quickly.

I've never used any barrier method so no advice there.
honeybadger 11
on 8/14/11 5:01 am - FL

I agree with you on the IUD. We have already had 2 miscarriages and plan to see a reproductive endo when we are ready so i dont want to use anything that might mess up my uterus! Plus many women still report having bad mood swings with the mirena.

Depo scares me as ive known 2 women to use it and they had terrible weight gain and i think their moods were worse than mine are now. I will look around to see if there are other injectables with better outcomes.

I plan to see my gyn so i will discuss the cap with her. Thank you very much for your input:)

Oh, do you have any experience with spermicides. I happened to come across several report that said NOT to use it but on planned parenthood it suggested you use it with any barrier method you use...?? strange.

~Jennifer