Anyone have RLS??

yorkieGal
on 8/13/11 5:30 am - Clermont, FL

HI Guys,
anyone have restless leg syndrome?
I have it and have been prescribed requip (Ropinirole) for it. However, since I started to take it I think i have been retaining water more, and even after a few weeks I have developed a tolerance to it making it necessary to up the dose.
I did some research online to see if this drug could be playing a part in my having so much trouble losing my bit of regain. The patient forum mentioned weight gain, impulsive behaviours, addicitive behaviours, damaged peripheral vision and rebound symptoms during the day. I am now looking around for more natural remedies for the RLS and have come across:
avoiding alcohol
avoiding sugar and caffeine
avoiding benadryl and OTC sleep medicines
Prozac and effexor may make symptoms worse

anyone have any good tips on dealing with it??

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/11 5:45 am
My RLS went away when my ferritin was up to 80.  It seemed to be triggered when it dropped below 40. I never took anything for it other than iron transfusions.  Friend of mine takes neurotinin for it and recently switched to something else more effective. I don't know the side effects for neurotinin other than a preliminary sedative effect.

Hope you find resolution!! It's a pita syndrome to have.

Hugs,
Ratkity
J G.
on 8/13/11 6:01 am
Tessy just posted the she does.  Apparently a low iron connection.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4437608/I-think-I-need- an-iron-infusion/
lwoznick
on 8/13/11 9:37 am - Green Bay, WI
Hi Yorkie,

I've suffered from RLS prior to my WLS. I've been on a medication called Carbadopa/Levadopa, generic for Sinimet, for the past 17-18 years and it's worked wonderfully for me. I take a very small dose. It's also used to treat the tremors in Parkinson's Disease. I tried Requip at one point too but couldn't tolerate the side effects and it didn't work as effectively for me. The doctor who performed my sleep study years ago initially prescribed it and now I just get it through my PCP. Perhaps it may work for you too.

Warmest wishes,

Lisa
Band to DS
on 8/13/11 12:51 pm, edited 2/3/12 10:35 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

vitalady
on 8/13/11 3:49 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
First thing I'd look at is iron levels.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

yorkieGal
on 8/14/11 12:38 am - Clermont, FL
Hey Michelle,

last time it was this bad I was due an infusion. I think its probably necessary and I am going to try and get one when I go home to the Uk in a week. I think I need the Fere iron injection as the venofer didnt really up my levels, just kept me where i was!!

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

2bee.or.not2bee
on 8/13/11 9:52 pm
 I struggled with RLS for years until last year when my Doc put me on Mirapex as well. I have had no problems with the med and my RLS is well controlled. I hope you find a solution. It really can make you crazy (as least it did to me) to be sleep deprived!
~CC

Romans 8:28                                  VSG 1/23/10  DS 5/15/11

VSG weight = 143 kg  VSG low = 116 kg  DS weight = 141.5
southernlady5464
on 8/13/11 10:09 pm
I also have RLS, had it for many years and it is genetic in my case. I take Mixapex (the generic) for mine. Tried Requip and it didn't help me as much as the Mirapex had...so I went back to Mirapex.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Diane Davis
on 8/14/11 5:04 pm
I, too, have RLS, and have been taking requip for a couple of years now.  I had to up my dosages to where now I take 4mg at bedtime.

I have never heard of these other meds, it has really perked my interest.  I will be following this post to see what else is said.
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!