Did you have Dr. Kemmeter for RNY to DS revision?

Jennifer D.
on 8/14/11 8:39 am
Let me preface my question by saying a) Yes, I did do a search for this topic prior to posting (including my prior somewhat similar but not the same posts) and b) Yes, I have been in contact with Cathy and Nettie and Dr. Kemmeter has spoken to my referring physician. That being said, when I did the search I found a few posts that stated Dr. Kemmeter only did band to DS revisions. Therefore, I am looking for anyone who has had RNY to DS revision with Dr. Kemmeter - just wanted to hear your story. How did surgery go? Was it done lap? I've heard good things about Blodgett, or did you have surgery at St. Mary's? How have you done so far weight-wise?
Thank You!
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
Hollydawn
on 8/14/11 8:56 am

HI Jen,

Glad to hear your DS sounds like it's back on track. Does he just have to do the intestine part for you or do you still need a full revision. I thought you already had the VSG so  you have the hard part done already. I know the intestine part will be no walk in the park either for you lol but I was hoping it will not be to hard for you. Good luck and I hope OHIP approves the second part for you with Dr Kemmeter.

Holly 

Jennifer D.
on 8/14/11 9:58 am

Hi Holly : )
I have no restriction - can eat more than my boys. I have asked to have the sleeve part fixed while he is in there so between that and the adhesions it will be similar to a revision but not so bad because my stomach and pylorus are already back in place. If you have time, we should do something this summer - maybe some better planned shopping!

Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
Julie R.
on 8/14/11 10:08 am - Ludington, MI
 I have heard *only* through the grapevine, that Dr. Kemmeter is just now beginning to do RNY to DS revisions.    I have no official confirmation of that from him, but I was going to check to see if this rumor is true when I go at the end of the month.   I do believe that he has done some sleeve tightenings as well, but make SURE you confirm how many cases he's done, what his level of success has been, etc.    Dr. Kemmeter is an outstanding surgeon, and highly recognized in the DS world.    I really hope that he is doing RNY to DS revisions, because he will offer many people in this area a great deal of hope if he is.  Good luck, and please let me know what you find out from him.   He's a wonderful, caring, compassionate man.  
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Jennifer D.
on 8/14/11 11:54 am
Hi Julie
If you could let me know what he says I'd appreciate it. All of my communication with Cathy and Nettie referred to a revision from RNY to DS and Dr. Kemmeter spoke with my doctor as well.
Thanks,
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
Patricia V.
on 8/15/11 11:38 am - Holland, MI
Jennifer,

I had my RNY with Dr. Kemmeter in 2005.  In 2010, Dr Kemmeter did a form of DS revision on me.  He did not change my pouch, but he did shorten my small intestine. Both of my surgeries were done Lap.   I had my RNY at Blodgett and the DS at Saint Mary's and I totally vote for Saint Mary's.  My weight loss is still really slow, but I have lost more with the DS then I could with the RNY.  I am just a very slow loser.  Dr. Kemmeter is the best.  I would trust him always.

Best of luck,

Pat
Jennifer D.
on 8/15/11 1:06 pm
Thanks Pat, someone else had also mentioned that St. Mary's is the place to be.
It's good to hear that your surgeries were done lap, I had open for my RNY - my revision to VSG was sooo much easier lap. I have to get it through my head that my loss may be slow also and not throw my chance away because I think I have already failed. I may have a ton of questions post-op : ).
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
nightowl
on 8/15/11 2:59 pm - Topeka, KS
I do not think what you describe is a DS.  It sounds like a more distal RNY, or ERNY.  It is helpful, though, to hear what revisions Dr. Kemmeter is doing.