Pre-op Lab Results- Advice?

orangecrushed
on 8/13/11 11:28 pm - Triad, NC
So, looks like I'm missing some of the key results from Vitalady's list.  I'm not sure how they didn't at least draw iron.  My surgeon didn't order it, I guess?  Anyway, I know I have those results from less than a month ago from the ones my PCP drew on his own.  Next time, I will make sure my surgeon's list includes everything!  Live and learn, I guess.

Here are the 'key' levels:
Labs 8-5-11 Results Recommended Lvls
Protein 7.2 7's
Albumin 3.9 4's
Pre-Albumin n/a 20-30's
Iron n/a  80-100
Ferritin 4  200-300
HGB 11.6 12
HCT 37 36
Vit A 45 60- 80
Vit D 8.8 80-120
Calcium 9 9.0-9.4
PTH n/a 20-40
Vit B1 n/a  Mid to top of range
Vit B6 n/a Mid to top of range
Magnesium n/a Mid range
Zinc n/a Mid range
Vit B12 640 1000
Folate 14 Top of range 20
AST (sgot) 22 Below 40
ALT (sgpt) 29 Below 40

I see that many clearly are not in line.  I've requested an iron infusion to get that ferritin up some, but should I go ahead and also ask for Proferrin?  I've also ordered D3 from Vitalady, so I'll be working on that one really soon.  I see Vitamin A is rather low, and I'm pretty shocked by my B12!  I already get montly injections for this.  I fall within the 'normal' ranges on the report, but I still thought that number would be higher!  Since I have Pernicious Anemia, will the sublinguals work for me?  Maybe I should do those in addition....

Anyway, any advice you would like to impart, I'm all ears!!!

Thanks
Nicole
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

MajorMom
on 8/14/11 2:10 am, edited 8/14/11 2:11 am - VA
I think you've got some work to do. You might want to run these labs by your PCP as well. I'm not liking that ferritin number at all. You may want to go ahead and start protein shakes now. Well, here's Vitalady's pre-op ideas link: www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/VitaladysPre-op_ideas_11 -2009.doc See if you can incorporate some of her suggestions now.

--gina

My understanding is you can take Proferrin with infusions but check with your doc.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

orangecrushed
on 8/14/11 12:33 pm - Triad, NC
That I do!  Thank you for the document... I haven't seen this one before.  I'll check on the Proferrin ASAP.

Thanks for your help, Gina!

Nic
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/