6 bags of blood and a hysterectomy

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 11:13 pm, edited 1/27/12 3:44 am
MajorMom
on 8/12/11 11:19 pm - VA
When I was on progesterone, it was a dry pill.  Maybe he will understand once you explain your malabsorption or you could equate it to celiac,short gut , or CF. I'll swing lizards for you. Had a hysti last October and it took me a good week to recover. Several of the ladies on the LW board have had ablations and have been pleased. I don't know if their issues were the same as yours though.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MomToTeens
on 8/12/11 11:22 pm - OH
I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a rough time!

I had thermal ablation in December, 2009 and haven't seen a period since.  I was 44 at the time, though, so it may be a hormone shift that's keeping them away now. 

I hope they figure out a successful treatment.  Maybe have them call your DS surgeon about the oil-based progesterone so that you get the right medication?

Best of luck,

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

gak
on 8/12/11 11:49 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Sunday,
Sorry you are having a rough time right now. Hope the doc will listen more closely once you get to talk to him more and explain the malabsorption of the DS.

I had an ablation years ago and it worked for awhile, but it was not a long term solution for me. I ended up with a hysterectomy a couple of years later. So it really depends on the complete history on which would be best.

I love NOT having a monthly visitor  since 1995 ! But we also knew we did not want anymore children. Not sure where you are at with that topic.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

teachmid
on 8/13/11 12:06 am - OKC, OK
Sunday,
I so sorry your having these problems. Hang I there.

More than 10 years ago I had a hyst after 4 units of blood. O e of the better things I've had done over the years.

Swinging my cats for you.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

larra
on 8/13/11 12:24 am - bay area, CA
I think what treatment options might work for you would depend on the cause of the ongoing bleeding. If it's somehow related to the IUD or its removal, maybe something short of a hysterectomy would work. 
    On the other hand, if your family is complete (which I have no idea) and if you could alter the timing of surgery with progesterone or some other treatment, a hysterectomy might not be so bad.

Larra
Northcountrygirl
on 8/13/11 1:09 am
I will be having the DS surgery in November.  I had the same issue as you back in May.  I had the ablation and it has worked so far.  I am on progesterone as well.  I don't like it.  It screws up my blood sugar levels and makes me weak and dizzy.  The only side effect I have had with the ablation is that I still have cramping and some back pain.  I will be having a hysterctomy after I have the DS surgery and have recovered enough.  The ablation pretty much makes you sterile.  You can become pregnant it just usually isn't viable.   I was tired the day of the ablation but back to myself the next morning.  I never took any of the pain meds my doc gave me.  Good luck!  Melissa
Julie R.
on 8/13/11 1:19 am - Ludington, MI
 I'm glad you went into the hospital!
I had an ablation three years ago.   At first, it didn't work well, and I was having terrible cramping and bloating from mid-cycle on.   Now, I take a transdermal progesterone cream, and that seems to have helped a lot of the pre menstrual symptoms.   My flow is definitely diminished, but I am noticing a gradual return of heavier periods.  Not as extreme as pre-ablation, but every month, they seem to be heavier.   I'm 50, so I'm hoping that menopause is around the corner for me before they become bad again.   

Your daugther will not sit back 40 years ago and contemplate how ****** up she is because you missed her first day of kindergarten.  Don't worry!   You've had a serious bump in the road, and you need to get that fixed.  Anemia is NO laughing matter.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/11 1:30 am
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/11 1:57 am - TX
I had the Novasure endometrial ablation and the Adiana tubal ligation in February,in an hour long procedure in my GYN's office.  Nothing more than a dribble occasionally for a period since.  No progesterone or anything else.  It's not supposed to help with cramps/PMS type stuff but I know the cramping has improved and I think my PMS is better too. 

Personally, I can't see doing a hysterectomy unless there's no way around it.  The Novasure is cheaper with virtually no recovery time (I think about a day).  Nothing is getting pulled out of your body.  

Long story short: I'd give the ablation a go, if it doesn't work as well as you need it to, you can always get the hystericalectomy.   If you go straight for removal, you can't put it back.  Kind of like Alton Brown is always saying about salted butter, you can add salt if you need it but you can't remove it.