New GP

"Just Elizabeth "
on 8/14/11 6:22 am - Houston, TX
I went to my new GP (which was actually my old GP prior to me leaving for Kuwait but it is the first time she has seen me post DS) the other day. She was very excited to learn about the DS. I took her print outs of what my system looks like now, what kind and type of vitamins I have to take and a list of the vitamins I take every day. She ran every test I asked for. (You know you are in for a fun time when the phlebotomist (sp) comes out with a hand full of tubes and the instruction book going "I have never seen some of these test".

I requested copies of my test results and she said no problem. Yesterday I got an envelope in the mail with my test results and 3 prescriptions.

I have anemia but no surprise there. I tended to that prior to the DS.

I have a Vit D deficiency. Uh...yeah. I know. I told you I was digging my way out of one and I'm sorry but that prescription D is useless.

My potassium is low. Uh...yeah. That happens every once in a while but thanks for the prescription. That may work faster than the OTC that I already have.

And I have a Vit K deficiency. Well that is new. And she's not sure how to handle that. Maybe I can call my surgeon about that. Uh...not really. If I had a question about surgery then yep I would call him. After care? Not so much. I will significantly increase my K intake and go back in a few weeks for retesting.

I'm actually saying all this to make a point. YOU have to know your surgery! YOU need to understand the after care because YOU may be explaining it to the doctors. YOU have to be able to advocate for yourself. Learn everything YOU can and never stop learning about YOUR surgery.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

kirmy
on 8/14/11 6:32 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Yup! Good advice.

So you...yes you...where are you working now?  Is there a man?  When are you coming to visit?  What's for dinner?

Love to you my little flower. x

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
"Just Elizabeth "
on 8/14/11 6:46 am - Houston, TX

Me? Yes me! I'm working for an oil and gas supply company(Hey we have a location in Aberdeen). I am the legal admin.

No man at the moment. But you know. They come and go.

I will put you on the list of people I need to visit. So far I have to go to Michigan, Virginia and Tennessee. You are only 4th on the list.

I was just asking my sister what's for dinner. She stated that she was making "air pudding" so I guess I will still have to think about it. However, tomorrow we are having chicken made with Colman's Chicken Supreme. I smuggled some back from Kuwait.

And YOU!!! I saw your post the other day. You are by far the bravest woman I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. 

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

kirmy
on 8/14/11 6:59 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Hey send me a contact in your company....I'm trying to get off shore as a medic to print cash.  Then I get to come over and have air pudding at your house!!!

It's hard to get a break in this industry if you've never been off shore before....p.s. I'll do anything for my first trip out...except hand relief and pole dancing.

I don't know if I'm brave or retarded but that was the kind of stuff I REALLY wanted to know pre-op and couldn't get my hands on so.........

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.