I think I need an iron infusion.

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 1:21 pm, edited 8/11/11 1:23 pm - Yorktown, VA
My iron levels were **** in May.  I will admit to having been slightly lackidasical about my iron some days, so I've been sure to not miss any doses the past 3 months.  I take 2 Proferrin Fortes a day, broken in half.

The past few weeks I've been EXTREMELY tired in the evenings, even when I sleep a decent amount and the past few days I've gotten dizzy easily when bending over and such. 

Here were my results in May....(probably should have had an infusion then)

Total Iron 35
TIBC 546
Iron % saturation 6
Ferritin, Serum 5.72

My WBC, RBC, hemoglobin and hematocrit were also low.

I've called my PCP to order another set of iron labs and I've ordered vitalady's tendor iron to add to my supplements, but I think I might just need to go ahead and get an infusion.

ETA:  I go out of town for 2 weeks (and my period is due while out of town) starting on 8/20.  Any idea how long it usually takes to get in for an infusion?
beemerbeeper
on 8/11/11 1:27 pm - AL
All I know is that there isn't just a generic "iron infusion."  There apparently are different types given in different ways.

I think you will have to first see a hematologist???

Please keep us updated as to how this plays out.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 1:31 pm - Yorktown, VA
Crap!  That isn't what I wanted to hear!  I want to call up my MD and tell him to fax me a script for an infusion and I want to call them up and make an appointment for next week!  Think I'm asking for too much?  :)
orangecrushed
on 8/11/11 1:39 pm - Triad, NC
They can get you in pretty quickly!  There are multiple types, as Becky said... unfortunately, whatever type I got last time (really need to start paying attention to these things) took 8 hours to infuse!  However, others on the board have gotten a different type that takes almost no time.

Hopefully your PCP can shed some light on the difference, or someone on here can chime in. :)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

J G.
on 8/11/11 1:43 pm
Sorry, hon, but unless you have a hemo in the family, it ain't gonna happen that fast.  I get regular iron dextran and I can tell you  it makes a big difference in how I feel.  Hemo says it take 2 weeks for the full effect but sometimes I can feel it the next day!
orangecrushed
on 8/11/11 5:16 pm - Triad, NC
I got mine within a couple of days of my PCP calling it in.  I guess it depends on the resources of the locations that perform them.  My local hospital had it readily available.  I don't know if it goes that quickly every time, or if I just got lucky.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

J G.
on 8/12/11 12:22 am
Orange, Okay, I stand corrected.  I had to wait to get into the hemo.  Maybe it was his stellar reputation.  Are you a Vol fan????
SweetGirl11
on 8/11/11 4:50 pm
I've been getting weekly IV iron infusions from a hematologist.  I got into see him in about a week and then had to wait for my insurance to authorize the infusions (took about a week).  I've had four infusions so far and feel SO much better.  My ferritin was down to 10.  I haven't had it retested yet.  I definitely notice a difference in my energy level, and I also have color back in  my face (I was deathly pale).  I hope you get in to see the doc soon!  You'll feel so much better.

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

girlygirl1313
on 8/11/11 10:09 pm - Davidson, NC
 I had to go to a hematologist. Very easy to get in.   He had to order the infusions (Fereheme) I only had to have two, at least 4 days apart, think.  The infusion it's self only took about 15 minutes and another 20 minutes of observation.  No big deal.

Janet P.
on 8/11/11 10:12 pm
Tessy - you are severely anemic (based on your numbers) . You need to immediately make an appointment with a hematologist. With numbers like yours (when everything is low) it takes a while (and lots of infusions) to get your numbers back into the normal range (particulary the ferritin, which is the stored iron) especially if you are still having your periods.

Are you also experiencing pica? restless leg syndrome?

I was extremely anemic for several years following my plastic surgery. I started with a ferritin of 3. The hematologist ordered weekly infusions for 2 months. After 3 or 4 infusions i started to feel better but it probably took 6 months of infusions -- first weekly, then monthly -- to get all my levels back in the normal range. The only thing that has eliminated the anemic was the eliminate my period.

Good luck.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny