Parents, what arrangements do you have in place for emergency childcare?

beth-28
on 8/13/11 4:48 am
I have 5 ferrets, 3 dogs, 2 guinea pigs, 2 rabbits and a horse. We always joke a say we have our own petting zoo, but you know....hiring them out to birthdays would pay for their food....hmmm.

No, I wouldn't do that to them. They are my babies after all.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

divakay2
on 8/12/11 7:29 am

If a mom is without childcare or family the state does offer temporary foster care until a parent is released.If the kids have special needs they do have arrangements for them and they do try to keep kids together they just have to tell the social worker at the hospital or make the staff aware.

goodkel
on 8/12/11 2:17 pm
On August 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM Pacific Time, divakay2 wrote:

If a mom is without childcare or family the state does offer temporary foster care until a parent is released.If the kids have special needs they do have arrangements for them and they do try to keep kids together they just have to tell the social worker at the hospital or make the staff aware.

Actually, I believe having their children placed in foster care is one of the fears that prevent these Mom's from calling 911.

But, I'm hoping that this inspires them to make local arrangments of their own in advance maybe with a 24 hour babysitting service, if needed.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 2:21 pm
Those who are being judgy need to realize that not everything works out the way you expect. I planned for the eventuality that I would need care but did it occur to you that sometimes even best laid plans fall through? My backup person was not answering her phone due to an emergency with her own family. And my question had nothing to do with what I should do with my kids, it was about whether I needed to go to the ER or not.

Thank you to those that offered insight on help for childcare from the hospital and emergency personel. This is something that never occurred to me because I lived a block from my parents up until last year and always had them for emergencies.
goodkel
on 8/12/11 2:48 pm
On August 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM Pacific Time, Sunday77 wrote:
Those who are being judgy need to realize that not everything works out the way you expect. I planned for the eventuality that I would need care but did it occur to you that sometimes even best laid plans fall through? My backup person was not answering her phone due to an emergency with her own family. And my question had nothing to do with what I should do with my kids, it was about whether I needed to go to the ER or not.

Thank you to those that offered insight on help for childcare from the hospital and emergency personel. This is something that never occurred to me because I lived a block from my parents up until last year and always had them for emergencies.
I don't think anyone is being judgmental.

And, of course the best laid plans can fall through. That is why it is important to have back up plans for your back up plans or just submit to the idea that CPS, the EMTs, or someone else in an official capacity will make sure your children are safe until a family member or babysitter can reach them.

And this thread is NOT an answer to yours. Everyone told you to go to the ER immediately. I didn't answer because I didn't think it required yet another person saying exactly same thing.

As was very clearly stated, I was hoping to gather information in this thread to help people in your situation.
Chill.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 10:59 pm, edited 8/12/11 11:01 pm
Beemer is being judgy. I understand the point of your post and I appreciate it. I just moved 1400 miles away from my family and it's not always easy to find people you trust to care for you kids in this kind of situation. And it's scary to leave your kids with hospital staff or some other random person you do not know. We have a drop in daycare as a backup as well but I had no way to get my kids there.

Goodkel, I didn't mean to post my last post to you specifically, i was just addressing everyone that responded. I am typing on my iPad from the hospital and it's a giant pain.
mariposantos
on 8/12/11 11:23 pm - Raleigh, NC
This is an excellent post.  It is helpful to all of us who are parents to know that these options are available.  I am lucky to have family living in the same city, but as others have said, your backup doesn't always work out.  Thank you for the information!

Pamela
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."  ~  Henry Ford  ~