DS/ How does it work with Diabetes.

Lamburger
on 8/11/11 11:09 pm

I m just now learning the difference between the Sleeve and DS. I have a question on the DS. .  I have heard that the DS works far superior in the control of long term diabetes, what it is about the surgery that helps keep diabetes under control compared to the other WLS.  I m a diabetic and believe it or not I m taking 400 units of insulin a day. I will be having WLS but I want to understand this difference.   I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have along with your enragement.  This is all new to me. And it is quite frightening.

teachmid
on 8/11/11 11:26 pm - OKC, OK
Welcome. I would refer you to DSFacts.com as a good starting place.

The DS has the best statistics for resolution of diabetes. My story briefly: I was diagnosed with DM in 1985. My blood sugars and weight were controlled for about 6-7 years after my RNY, then all came back.

Over the last few years my diabetes worsened, now requiring Byetta then Insulin plus some oral meds but I also had reactive hypoglycemia die to my RNY. I had revision to a DS last December and the last dose of insulin I had was on a sliding scale 2 days post op. My BS's and A1C are normal and my DM is in complete remission.

Good luck on your research.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 12:12 am - Woodbridge, VA
There are still some questions about why/how it works so well, but it's pretty clear it has to do with the intestinal reconfiguration. Some docs say it's a matter of certain hormones in the gut, and that having food not pass through much of the foregut helps bring those hormones back into balance.

I wasn't on insulin, just oral meds, but my pre-op A1Cs closest to surgery were 8.1 and 7.9. My most recent was 4.6, and I've been off all meds since about 6 months post-op.

Here's some more information:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/diabetes/3751535/If-you-ar e-Type-2-and-considering-WLS/
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 3:15 am - Lancaster, OH
Jillybean,
That is one terrific thread you built there.  It's a lot of reading, but it's good stuff, and I sure do appreciate all the work you put into it.
And, I'm so glad that you do have better numbers now.
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 1:22 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
I swear to god if you don't use a bigger font I'll kill you. You know I am old and my eyes are not what they used to be damnit.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/12/11 2:11 am - Tuvalu
On August 12, 2011 at 8:22 AM Pacific Time, Pumpkin X . wrote:
I swear to god if you don't use a bigger font I'll kill you. You know I am old and my eyes are not what they used to be damnit.

Because you're so old...

I m just now learning the difference between the Sleeve and DS. I have a question on the DS. .  I have heard that the DS works far superior in the control of long term diabetes, what it is about the surgery that helps keep diabetes under control compared to the other WLS.  I m a diabetic and believe it or not I m taking 400 units of insulin a day. I will be having WLS but I want to understand this difference.   I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have along with your enragement.  This is all new to me. And it is quite frightening.

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 2:24 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
SUE I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO DRIVE OVER THERE AND KILL YOU.....

JUST SAYIN !

demotivational poster SILENCE!
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 2:57 am - Lancaster, OH
(will that involve shanking?)
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/12/11 2:59 am - Tuvalu

Knowing her, she'll use her plastic SPORK so that the torture lasts longer.

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 3:13 am - Woodbridge, VA
On August 12, 2011 at 9:59 AM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:

Knowing her, she'll use her plastic SPORK so that the torture lasts longer.

Someone do me a favor and quote me so I can ask

PUMPKIN why'd you block me?!