Slightly OT: Trader Joe's!

orangecrushed
on 8/12/11 1:03 am - Triad, NC
Hi!
Tomorrow, I'll be going out to the big city (bigger, anyway), and they have a Trader Joe's out there.  I've only been to TJ one time, and loved it!  I know there are a lot of fans of the store here, and I'm wondering what are some must-haves that i should go ahead and pick up while I'm there?  Which brand do you use, etc?  It's about a 2 hour trip to the store, so I wanna make sure it's very productive.

Thanks for your input!
Nic
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 2:38 am - Beverly, NJ
I'm sure the vets will have staples that they love from Trader Joes.
For me it's quite a long ride too but since I'll be at my moms this weekend and I pass it on the way home I'm gonna grab what I can
When I go to TJ's I like to pick up things that I never saw anywhere else. I like to try new things. Check out their website before you go to see what new things they have in.
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 2:55 am - Lancaster, OH
I work about 10 miles from a TJ's.  Live 40 miles away.  So, I do tend to stock up on some things.
Most important, for me is yogurt.
I get the whole milk, organic, european style (in the red container).  By the big tub.  And, i buy 4 or 5 at a time.  I have some every day, with my chia seeds, so I go through those within 3 weeks or so.  Each container is $3, so I think I'm saving quite a bit doing it that way.
Also, I stock up on raw almonds and cashews, and find some kind of cheese that I've not tried before.
Oh, and I am addicted to the seaweed snack.  It's a buck a package, it's little sheets of salted and oiled nori.  I limit myself to 6 packages.  If they're lucky, they MAY last for 6 days.  (not always, though)  They're not devoid of carbs, but they're low enough that I don't worry about it.
Those are my "always gets".
Happy shopping!
* Gail R *
on 8/12/11 4:28 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I think you meant whole milk yogurt? I like it too!

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

ModestoK
on 8/12/11 3:32 am

Here are some of my suggestions:
+  If you are an olive fan, you must buy several bottles of their garlic stuffed olives.
+  Check out their various pasta sauces - several of them have 6 grams of net carbs or less,   which is just about the same as the higher priced "low carb" sauce I've bought online.
+  CHEESE, CHEESE, & MORE CHEESE.
+  Almond flour.
+  Two buck Chuck for cooking.

Bring along a cooler if you can, because some of their frozen stuff is really good.   I love how convenient their asian chicken breasts are since I can cook one at a time.  I keep a bag of them at work for lunches.     They also have some interesting looking protein choices; I've got mojito salmon in my freezer that I'm going to try this weekend and their Florintine pork loin is yummy.

You are going to be like a kid in a candy store!  Bring lots of cash and have fun.

Kim

~  Kim  ~

HW - 283        SW - 257.5     Goal - 156
Thanks to all the DS vets who have paid it forward - I <3 you guys!  
Looking for DS support & information?   Check out :     http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

Panda ..
on 8/12/11 3:40 am
orangecrushed
on 8/12/11 8:47 am - Triad, NC
Thank you, everyone!  I have a pretty good list going now.  I found an interesting website that gave me some ideas, too... Cooking with Trader Joe's.  The idea of a cooler is a good one!  I wasn't planning on picking up any frozen items, but it sounds like there are going to be some I may want to buy.  I've only been to TJ's one time, and I loved it.  I wish we had one in my town.

Again, much appreciated!!

girlygirl1313
on 8/12/11 11:05 pm - Davidson, NC
 Honey Chevre! O M G

Band to DS
on 8/12/11 11:48 pm, edited 2/3/12 10:33 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

orangecrushed
on 8/14/11 12:00 am - Triad, NC
Bookmarked!  Holy crap at the Pocky!  I'll be stopping by there next month. :)