Who's Business is it Anyways!!!!

beth-28
on 8/11/11 4:15 am
I'm just going to say, "I'm watching what I eat". Which will not be a lie. I'll be watching every bite that goes into my mouth!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

ThisIsMyUserName
on 8/11/11 4:47 am
Im still pre-op, but I have decided that I will not tell anyone. The decision to tell or not tell is a personal one. But once you tell, you can't UNTELL. And you can't control who finds out once you tell, so that means that you enemies will know along with your friends...If that makes any sense. Im 99% sure an aunt had RNY about 6 years ago. She went from the high 200's, to about 150 in about a year. Present date, shes probably just under 200. She never admitted having weight loss surgery, and instead would accept the compliments, smile and claim to be doing really mundane dieting type things. She claimed to have counted calories, lowered her carb intake and done more excercise. In other words she lied through her teeth. It sounds like you don't want to share your WLS with these people. I have always believed that silense is you're best weapon in almost all cir****tances. When someone asks me an out of line question I always let it hang there for about 10-15 seconds, which feels like an eternity. I just look at them without saying a word. Usually they begin to stammer and stutter and back track and sort of clean up what they said. Some times they flat out apologize and take it back. Another thing to keep in mind is people will feel slighted when you don't tell them every minute detail, yet they will guard their secrets with their lives...
DS4dana
on 8/11/11 5:17 am - CA
 In the world of facebook, etc it can be tempting to 'brag' about your bacon for breakfast along side your weightloss but if you are going to live out loud expect people to want to know how to get the same results for themselves or their friends/ family.  Being quiet about your personal life is a choice you can make but know people will wonder and possibly even worry.  Unless you are a hermit then you live in a community.  Within a community it's normal to wonder about the health and happiness of others in your circle.

I choose to be open with people about my surgery because I also want to share my weightloss progress.  I also think others need to know there are options other than the crapband and the RNY.

(5'6" Lg frame 7'wrist)  Pants: size 6-8
HW- 265  SW-251  CW-146 GW-155 (100% EWL in 10 months) LOW GW- 145

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 5:22 am
I decided to follow the road of UserName and not tell anyone. If someone asks if I'm losing weight I emphatically say "Yes! I'm really working at it". That is usually when I get the response "looking good" or "keep up the good work". I can truthfully say I'm doing the low carb thing too. The rest is non of their biz, right?

Now, about the privacy issue.. oiy!!! EN has it pegged. The one person I have a constant battle with asking about "my diet" is my mother. I'm working on boundries, but it's taking lots of $$ in therapy LOL.

I don't even do FB cuz of what I perceive as cyberstalking by folks without boundries.  (/on LOLspeak) Gibs me da heebie-geebies, it dose!! (/off LOLspeak).

Hugs,
Ratkity
AllieInOntario
on 8/11/11 5:56 am, edited 8/11/11 5:56 am
I at first wasn't sure how open I was going to be about it. That said, I don't care who knows now. I've decided that anyone who gets in my face about it (as opposed to just being supportive) ... is going to get this as a response. (It's a twist on what someone on the forum suggested to say)...

".. well to tell you the truth... I've had to tell everyone I've had weight loss surgery... because actually I've become a sex addict and have no time really, to eat. ... Is your husband available Thursday?"
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

DS4dana
on 8/11/11 8:34 am - CA
Hahahahah snort!! I love this!!

(5'6" Lg frame 7'wrist)  Pants: size 6-8
HW- 265  SW-251  CW-146 GW-155 (100% EWL in 10 months) LOW GW- 145

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 10:36 pm
Good Morning DSers....

I want to thank all of you for your wonderful replies...your points of view are very valuable to me!!  I appreciate your time and effort....I am a faithful DSer and although I wish to remain private as much as possible with my weight loss journey...you all made good points about embracing it and helping others...Never looked at it that way...Thanks again everyone for your imput and ideas....DS is a wonderful thing...a great tool and continued success to all of you!!!
Sean_B
on 8/12/11 11:37 am - Schenectady, NY
For a while, I told people that I went down to Tijuana MX and had a tapeworm inserted for only $50 and a bottle of tequila.  I was surprisingly able to keep a straight face while doing so.  It was quite interesting seeing peoples reaction

Pre: 324 Now: 185-190 http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v362/171/99/1251208761/n1251208761_30154298_7588.jpg

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 12:54 pm