Umm..... new weight loss surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 12:18 am - Beverly, NJ
I was up a good part of last night and bored so I looked it up some .  They are actually doing a procedure where they add the band onto it from the start.... The whole thing baffles me....
2bee.or.not2bee
on 8/10/11 11:17 pm, edited 8/11/11 3:36 am
(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 11:43 pm, edited 8/10/11 11:45 pm
WOW......

that's what I thought when I read the responses to my post.  I'm new on this website and so far I'm not sure I want to stay since I received this nice warm welcome.

If you must know.  BMI 41 HW 274 SW 237 CW 219.9  Surgery 07/19/11

I didn't say "THINK", I said believe.  And yes I had major surgery and I know exactly what I had.  It was the Plication, but my doctor calls his Imbrication.  Same exact thing.  My stomach was folded onto itself and sewn together.  He's been doing this procedure for over a year and is now the most sought after procedure in his office outside of Bypass.

There is no malabsorbtion with this procedure so the weight loss is not as fast as with some of the other surguries.  Yes the stomach can stretch, but if you ask your dr, your stomach can stretch with any of the procedures if you eat to much.  Ulcers will not happen with this surgery either.

Yes it is reversible, the scar tissue will be minimal.  I wanted reversible for different reasons, but mainly because my husband and I own our own business and when he quits his other job we will be getting new insurance.  Both my sister and MIL had Bypass and pay out the *ss for deductibles because of their surgeries.  Different insurance companies with the same response.

I apologize if my responses sound rude, but I was really taken aback when I read my post responses.
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 12:32 am - Woodbridge, VA
So, if you have to change insurance, you'll have your surgery reversed? I don't think it works that way...first, you're talking about another whole surgery, and second, the insurance company will still view it as that you have HAD surgery, so I don't think their stance on it as a pre-existing condition (or whatever they term it) would change just because you had yet another (reversal) surgery.

In any case, you'll probably find the best support here on OH over on the VSG board since the DS board has patients with lots of malabsorption, so most folks' experience here probably won't be directly helpful to you. There are a couple other plication patients over on the VSG board as well (or at least there have been - not sure how often they post).
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 12:35 am, edited 8/11/11 12:38 am - Beverly, NJ
EDITE: to remove quotation of previous post

Whether you're pre-op or in your case post-op, grow some skin.  If you think my unwelcoming reply to your comment on my thread was harsh you haven't seen ANYTHING yet.  

Lets start out again shall we?  Oh **** it, lets not because you're already lying to me.  You say a BMI of 41?  Lies and fairy tales.  On your profile you state it's 36.1 (and since replying to my thread is your first post I'm going to gather this was recent information) unless of course you were LYING on your registration.  

LoL believe or think whatever.  So you "BELIEVE" thats the surgery you had.... Either way not good enough for me.  I had the DS or the Duodenal switch Oh and don't forget biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch or BPD-DS and then it's also called the vertical sleeve gastrectomy with duodenal switch .  How do I know this?  Because BEFORE my surgery I made sure I knew EVERYTHING there was to know about it, including what people would call it so that I didn't look like a dumbass when I was talking about it.

"He's been doing this procedure for over a year and is now the most sought after procedure in his office outside of Bypass."
You are a brave, brave person.  There is not a cold chance in HELL I'd let someone cut into me that has only been doing something for a year.  I guess everyone needs practice but no thanks, I'll pass. Oh and if it's the most sought after procedure in his office after just a year, I question his clientele.  

Are you a doctor?  Because I want to see studies done on this:  "Yes it is reversible, the scar tissue will be minimal. "  I didn't know we could guarantee how much scar tissue will be present from a surgery. 

You are partially right about one thing and that is stomachs can stretch.  It has nothing to do with if you are overeating however (well I'm sure if someones going to overeat the stretching will be greater).  It will stretch regardless.  Which is why I love that I have malabsorption.  Again this is a personal preference but since you are ont he DS forum you're probably going to see other people say the same thing.  

Anyway, it's been fun.  Stick around, don't be offended by lil ol me.  There are much bigger dogs on this board.  If you give it enough time they will probably chime in.  

newyorkbitch
on 8/11/11 12:38 am, edited 8/11/11 12:38 am
The issue is this:  Any procedure which is only restrictive (as yours is) and does not include a malabsorptive component will result in an initial loss...but eventually that loss will stop and you will regain the weight.
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 12:41 am - Beverly, NJ
And then she'll be back on the DS forum looking for help on a revision...... Unless of course her miracle doctor talks her into yet another "new, shiny and fancy" procedure, or offers to band her failed surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 12:40 am - Lancaster, OH
You might want to rethink that "getting your panties in a bunch" thing when people ask questions and are a bit blunt.  Granted you did not get the DS, so, although you are certainly welcome to be here, I'm not sure why you're getting offended at someone else's discussion.

And, I would like to point out that ulcers can happen to anyone.  Particularly if they take a lot of NSAIDS.  Those with a VSG or DS simply can be scoped, so there are not ulcers developing somewhere that cannot be reached by scoping.

So, if your stomach is all folded and stitched up, that tissue that's in the folds can be scoped?
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 1:39 am, edited 8/11/11 1:45 am - San Jose, CA
OK, there is some funky code that cut off a rather extensive post I wrote, highlighting some reports of awful complications.  I'm just going to post the link to the March 8, 2011 ASMBS position statement on plication, to the Yahoo Advanced search that gives NUMEROUS posts on OH that have the words "plication" and "complication" and a link to verticalsleevetalk with a posting from a surgeon warning about the compications:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/publicASMBS/GuidelinesStatements/PolicyStatment/Gastric_Plication_Statement_3_8_11.pdf

http://search.yahoo.com/search?n=10&ei=UTF-8&va_vt=any&vo_vt =any&ve_vt=any&vp_vt=any&vd=all&vf=all&vm=p&fl=0&p=plication +complication&vs=www.obesityhelp.com%2F

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/14816-gps-update-imp ortant-new-information/

Perforations - wow.  And NO long-term results.

Oh, and lapband OVER plication - I just can't IMAGINE how that is a good idea.
Elizabeth N.
on 8/11/11 2:03 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yeah, this is the "gastric plication" you see mentioned in some posts, mostly on the main board. ASMBS has made clear that this is in investigational stages. Dr. Boyce's participation in the procedure, if he is following the appropriate guidelines for a procedure in clinical trials, would be legitimate.

Bottom line is that anyone who gets this is being a guinea pig. I wouldn't do it.