Umm..... new weight loss surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 2:48 pm - Beverly, NJ
Umm..... Wtf?

Knoxville Bariatric Surgeon Performs Investigational Surgery

At New Life Center for Bariatric Surgery, Dr. Stephen Boyce is performing a new approach to weight loss surgery in Knoxville, TN. The procedure is known as the Laparoscopic Great Curvature Plication (LGCP), and is designed to help patients lose significant amounts of weight by altering the shape of the stomach instead of removing stomach tissue or implanting a restrictive device.

Dr. Stephen Boyce is a bariatric surgeon in Knoxville, TN. At the New Life Center for Bariatric Surgery, he is now performing an investigational weight loss procedure known as Laparoscopic Greater Curvature Plication (LGCP). Dr. Boyce says the procedure does not require the use of restrictive devices or surgical removal of stomach tissue; instead, the stomach is folded (plication) and sewn back on itself, narrowing the diameter of the stomach to potentially cause patients to feel fuller sooner.

Dr. Boyce says the LGCP procedure is similar to the vertical gastric sleeve, in that the stomach alone is altered to create a slimmer diameter and create a sense of fullness sooner. However, he emphasizes the LGCP does not involve the permanent removal of stomach tissue. While this procedure is still in the clinical trials phase, Dr. Boyce says the early results have yielded some promising advantages to traditional methods of weight loss surgery, including an increased percentage of weight loss and a reduction of risks commonly associated with staple-line leaking.

The initial data on LGCP shows the procedure may have a decreased risk factor when compared to other procedures. While all weight loss procedures are accompanied by a unique set of cir****tances that require an individual approach to each surgery, Dr. Boyce emphasizes all bariatric procedures carry similar, essential patient responsibilities. “As with all weight loss surgical procedures, LGCP requires proper nutrition, regular moderate activity and close clinical follow up for safe, lasting weight loss."

About Stephen G. Boyce, MD

Dr. Stephen Boyce earned his medical degree from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. He then completed his surgical residency at Parkland Memorial Hospital. Dr. Boyce has special training in advanced laparoscopic surgery as well as a Masters Certification in Bariatric Surgery. He has performed thousands of weight loss procedures, and says he strives to provide compassionate, comprehensive care throughout the entire weight loss procedure, whether his patients undergo a bariatric procedure or pursue weight loss through a medically-supervised program.

New Life Center for Bariatric Surgery is located at 200 Ft. Sanders Blvd. MOB 1, Ste. 200 in Knoxville, TN 37922, and can be reached at (865) 694-9676, or found online at parkwestcwlc.com or facebook.com/newlifecenterbariatricsurgery.

Twi light
on 8/10/11 2:57 pm - NY
there is somone on these board that already had Plication .. i think atleast  a year ago or more... i think they were looking to switch to DS  now- i recall reading something about them looking to switch

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 3:14 pm - Beverly, NJ
I'm a fresh and floppy newbie and although I looked into all the WLS's I thought I covered them all.  Then I saw this today on facebook.  It kinda threw me for a loop.  Like just when you thought you had seen it all, kwim?
Twi light
on 8/10/11 3:19 pm - NY
I know what you mean, i am sure there will be something even newer tomorrow lol.

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 3:15 pm
I am a new member and I believe this is the same surgery that I just had 3 weeks ago.  My doctor calls it Gastric Imbrication.  The description you gave is the same as what I had.  So far I am very happy.  The weight loss is a little slower, but I will be able to keep up with the changing shape of my body.  The food stages are longer for the Imbrication then the other procedures.  I want something to chew, crunchy type, but I can't for another week.  I'm trying to stay stong and on plan because I know the outcome will be the great reward. 
(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 3:27 pm, edited 8/10/11 3:28 am - Beverly, NJ
What's your BMI? Highest weight? Goal weight? Because depending on those answers changes how I would respond to you.

Hold on, you "think" thats the same surgery you just had? You mean you had major surgery and you not sure what you had????

wow.....
(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 3:24 pm, edited 8/10/11 3:29 am - Beverly, NJ
He folds the stomach over on its self.....

Soooo theres no malabsorption...

That part thats folded over, what exactly happens to that long term.

Is there a chance for ulcers like the bypass?

Since the part of the stomach that produces Ghrelin is still there I guess theres that to deal with.

No thank you. I'm glad I have my DS. So much less BS to deal with.
Sonia S.
on 8/10/11 8:07 pm - Queens, NY
You pretty much asked the same questions that came to my mind, except one (won't it re-stretch?). That surgery doesn't sound like a good idea (the stomach folder and sewn back on itself), because I believe all that stomach tissue still there will keep produce most of the hunger hormone Ghrelin and in time just re-stretch. And then there's the posibility of ulcers. I don't see this surgery as a good long term solution for significant weight loss.

Katy S.
on 8/10/11 4:14 pm - WA
*like* lol...
"Hi, my name is Katy...and I am a meat eating spin junkie"
HW: 336/DOS: 306/CW: 153/GW: 140?
~ CSz: 5 - S/M

* G1: 199# 09/28/11 * G2: 175# 11/30/11 * G3: 160# 12/09/11(
"People too weak to follow their dreams, will always try to find a way to discourage yours"

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 10:31 pm - Woodbridge, VA
He's certainly not the only one performing this. On the boards, they usually just call it a plication (or gastric plication). There are a handful of folks who have had this done on the VSG and Main boards here on OH. My question: why not just get a VSG? They sell it as being reversible since the VSG is obviously permanent, but why would you ever want a VSG reversal in the first place? And it's not truly easily reversible because scar tissue builds up around the folded/stiched part of the stomach, so while it may be possible, it certainly wouldn't be as simplistic as they seem to make it sound. It's about as easily reversible as the band...
Recent Topics