Coumadin and your period

DivaJojo
on 8/10/11 6:55 pm - Atlanta, GA
Hello Ladies (please excuse me gentlemen);

I am one week into a six month course of coumadin for pe and dvt. My cycle started yesterday and has been normal so far, but it is my understanding that it will probably be a lot worse.

I have mixed feelings about what I have read because so many of these women had other issues affecting their cycles pre-coumadin use.

So, what I really need at this point is to hear from women who have NOT had bleeding issues of biblical proportions since being on coumadin. Keeping in mind that when I search this topic, it will naturally lead to people discussing problems and coping. I need to know there is a possibility that I won't descend into menstrual hell.

Thanks for your replies (I hope there are some. . . please. . . )

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Renfairewench
on 8/10/11 10:27 pm
I was on Warfarin for 4 months following a blood clot in my subclavian vein caused from a PICC line. I did not experience menstrual hell anomolies. My period was a little heavier the first month, but then again I was still pretty sick from other post op complications and had missed my period completely the month before, but following that it seemed to be pretty normal. I didn't see any real difference to be honest with you.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

DivaJojo
on 8/11/11 4:15 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks so much for your reply. I know realistcally all I can really do is see what happens, but I really needed to know that it's not a given that I'll be incapacitated. Thanks.

Kathleen F.
on 8/11/11 4:35 am
I can't help with your question about coumadin, but I just realized I missed your last post about the PE and DVT. Yikes! I'm so glad you went to the ER about the shortness of breath. I have been wondering how you were. Big hugs!!
DivaJojo
on 8/12/11 6:28 am - Atlanta, GA
Yeah, aside from this setback, I am doing okay. It was a frightening time, but God is good and I am settling into one step at a time, day by day. Leg pain is under control and I go back to work on Monday. Hopefully, the next six months will be uneventful. In fact, I wouldn't mind a little bring mvng forward.

Paula R.
on 8/11/11 8:00 am - Portland, OR
I had a PE in Feb. 2010 and was on warfarin for 6 months.  I didnt notice any mentrual anomalies either.  I didnt bleed any more or less than I did before warfarin.  No menstrual hell here either.
My signature is in the witness protection program

DivaJojo
on 8/12/11 6:05 am - Atlanta, GA
Yay, it's been very lite this time, which is blessedly normal for me. We'll see what happens next month.

Recent Topics