Can we fast forward 2 weeks from now please?!

StacyAnn07
on 8/10/11 11:32 am - Del City, OK
I can not wait to meet with my surgeon!! I feel like a kiddo waiting on Christmas Day to roll around! Does anyone know about how long it takes from your 1st appointment to when you have a surgery date?? I'm self-pay so there are no insurance hoops to jump through for me. Thanks everyone again for the wonderful guidance. 

shannn
on 8/10/11 12:08 pm - Knoxville , TN
It took about a month and a half from when my surgery was approved to my surgery date. That was the next available opening for my surgeon.

Good luck!
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

J J the Jet Plane
on 8/10/11 12:09 pm
Well I finished jumping thru hoops June 15th.  My Surgery isn't until August 26th!   It depends on your surgeon's schedule and the hospital schedule.  It could be two weeks to ??????  But usually 2 weeks is the fastest I have heard of.  And that is with everything already completed.  Just because you are self pay doesn't necessarily mean you have to skip the psych eval, EKG etc.  It depends.... I would call your surgeon's nurse and see what would be required of you. Because they normally do not schedule you for surgery until everything is in and approved. If you have sleep apnea, you will have to have your machine etc. 
Good luck.
JJ

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 12:10 pm - Beverly, NJ
There may not be insurance hoops to jump through but a good surgeon is going to require testing. Depending on the surgeon and your health issues you can have a surgery date anywhere from one month to 6 months.

I'm so excited for you! Have you been stalking the boards? Theres tons of information on here
teachmid
on 8/10/11 12:27 pm - OKC, OK
I was self pay but with a different surgeon. my surgery was 6 weeks from my initial contact with the office. A lot depends on the surgeon's schedule and how long it takes you to get all the preo-op requirements done.

I know the waiting is hard.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

clpeltz
on 8/10/11 12:33 pm
I'm glad you came to check out the DS forum!  Who is your surgeon?

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

beemerbeeper
on 8/10/11 12:37 pm - AL
Who is your surgeon?

It took me about four months to jump through all the hoops from start to surgery day.  I used that time to read this forum (and read and read) and lose a little weight. It seemed to take a long time then, but now I know I made good use of those months and my surgeon was taking good care of me even BEFORE surgery (by requiring me to lose weight, stop smoking, and get a ton of tests done).

~Becky

StacyAnn07
on 8/10/11 12:53 pm - Del City, OK
Thanks guys!! I figured it would be a few months but I am just so eager!! My dr. is Dr. Stewart in Denton, TX!

StacyAnn07
on 8/10/11 1:02 pm - Del City, OK
And Christina, Thank you so much for speading the word about the DS to me!! I was on my way to having the RNY and you very well might have saved my life! Thank you very much!!!

Nissa_M
on 8/10/11 1:04 pm - TX
I'll take the ff too! My surgery is two weeks from today with Dr. Stewart! My initial consult was July 14th and my surgery is the 24th of this month, that's with Dr. Stewart going on vacation in that time. As well as insurance approval too. You'll love Dr. Stewart, he totally built my confidence in this surgery and answered all of my questions with a lot of patience and detail!