Two Weeks From Today!!!

ShersJourney
on 8/10/11 8:27 am
Wow.
I'm really, really having surgery in two weeks!

I just spent the entire day at GHP for the two week pre op "stuff" and have mixed feelings.  MOSTLY I'm glad it's over!

It was a group setting in one of the conference rooms... 8 pre-ops, 3 "buddies" (like my son, Alex) - and first came the RN talking about the database and consent forms.  Next was the nutritionist... and let me make this clear right now, I was the only DS'er in the room :-\  I appreciate what she was saying, but a lot of it didn't apply to me.  Next was the exercise physiologist.  Then the PA came in to talk to us first as a group, but then called us out one by one to get weighed then go into an exam room.  Out of all of those people, I was absolutely LAST to be called.  THAT was frustrating as can be - and yes, I realize SOMEone had to be last but I watched people I KNEW would have a LOT of questions go in before me, and I really had no questions.  My predictions for who would take the longest were quite accurate.

After the appointment; I went into the store and picked up my *gulp* $186 order.  The appointment was for 11:15 and I didn't leave there until easily 5:00..

All in all though, I'm quite thankful that this part is over.  I will see the PA in a week for just a half hour and the next stop on this train is surgery!

OMG somebody PINCH me, it's only TWO WEEKS AWAY!!! ♥

Best!
Sherry

MajorMom
on 8/10/11 8:31 am - VA
WOOT!! Two weeks! 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

meredith_123
on 8/10/11 8:33 am - Waterford, MI

Thanks, now I know what to expect.  I just scheduled my pre-op appointment today, it's on the 22nd. 

What types of products do you get to eat for the 2 weeks before the surgery? 

Your day will be here before you know it, that's so exciting. 

5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
ShersJourney
on 8/10/11 8:44 am, edited 8/10/11 8:46 am
Well, you get to select from a long list of product... the way it typically looks for me is this:

Breakfast - Bacon & Egg omelet (don't be deceived, it's a flavored powder that you rehydrate and cook)
Snack 1 - Caramel Brownie Bar 
Lunch - Mushroom Soup
Snack 2 - bag of pretzels
Dinner - prepackaged meals, eg Green Pepper Steak
Snack 3 - beef stick

plus >64 oz of water (does not include liquids used to mix products)

each item has 15g of protein... and done right, the day adds up to >800 calories / day.

They will also cut all non-prescribed meds and cut other meds (diabetes meds) in half.

Hope that helps! 

*ETA - because you will likely be the only DS'er there; they will suggest that you get the standard multi vitamin, either capsule or chewable -- but don't hesitate to correct them because as a DS'er you need the ADEK instead.  It's $10 more but that's what we need.

meredith_123
on 8/10/11 8:58 am - Waterford, MI
Thanks!  Doesn't sound great, but sounds much better than the only liquid diets so many others have been subjected to.  My sister was only allowed protein shakes for the 2 weeks before her sleve surgery. 
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
elixir
on 8/11/11 7:02 am - MI
They will advise you to get the ADEK at your two week post-op appt. (Though I guess getting it beforehand isn't a bad idea since you will be taking it for two weeks pre-op and two weeks post.)

I had two other DSers in my pre-op orientation who were also in my two week post-op nutrition class. I think I must have lucked out. There was one or two VSGers and the rest were RNY. Oddly enough, someone mis-scheduled a VSG & a RNY to come to the DS nutritional class. I got a kick out of Christine saying "OK, now my DSers... you don't have to limit fat", and then telling the other two who had other surgeries to disregard that as it didn't apply to them. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Julie R.
on 8/10/11 9:17 am - Ludington, MI
 Sherry Sherry Sherry!!!
I'm so excited for you!    What time is your surgery?
I still can't believe you were the only DS'er in the meeting.   That means we need to work harder at spreading the DS word, LOL.   
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

ShersJourney
on 8/10/11 10:06 am
Crud, I don't have a time yet!  I'm guessing he'll give it to me on the 18th but I'm going to call tomorrow and ask!

As for getting the word out - I have some ideas about that! ;)

I CAN'T WAIT! :D

Julie R.
on 8/10/11 10:11 am - Ludington, MI
 Do you have family support there for you when you go into and during surgery?
If you don't, I'll come down.  I don't want you being rolled into surgery without anyone there for you.   My ex pulled that on me, and it sucked.

The first couple of weeks are pretty putrid.   You wake up, you feel like **** and you're still fat!  Soon enough though, life will normalize, you'll see yourself shrinking, and the fun begins.    
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

ShersJourney
on 8/10/11 10:20 am
 "...and you're still fat"!  I nearly choked on my celebratory tuna shell salad (oh how I will miss it, and eggrolls!!)

Alex is of course here, and Melissa is flying in and staying for a week so it should be okay, though I'm tempted to say I'll be all alone so you come down anyway :)

Can't wait for the "fun" to begin, and now finally, I don't have to wait much longer!!
Recent Topics