Make your own almond flour

wannablite
on 8/10/11 8:19 am - Southern, NJ
 After paying nearly $9.00 for a pound of the stuff, I did some research and found an online place to buy raw almonds in bulk. They sell them in 25 lb bags, but if you call they will sell you a 5 lb bag for $5.13 a lb. All you have to do is grind them up and you have almond flour! The website is www.newurbanfarms.com if anyone is interested. 

Julie R.
on 8/10/11 9:19 am - Ludington, MI
 Thank you for this!   
FWIY - Trader Joe's has the best prices around on Almond Flour if you ever get too lazy to make your own.   My closest TJ's is 250 miles away, and I buy several pounds at a time and freeze it.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

wannablite
on 8/10/11 8:54 pm - Southern, NJ
 Thanks so much, Julie! I have a TJ's about 20 miles from me so that's great to know. It's small & doesn't carry a lot of the great things others talk about, but you never know! Right now 5 lbs will hold me for a while!

Renfairewench
on 8/10/11 12:15 pm
I usually buy almonds from Sam's Club. I think it is a 3 pound bag.

I was thinking of making my own flour, but I find that when you grind up almonds they are very pasty due to the oil content in them. Almond flour is dryer and more fine. Any idea how to get homemade almond flour that way?

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/10/11 12:17 pm - Tuvalu
Renfairewench
on 8/10/11 12:38 pm
Never mind...I jus****ched a couple of YouTubes on making both rice and almond flour. I'm so doing this. I've been looking for rice flour for weeks now. Never thought about making it myself. DUH!  The money I save in making my own almond and rice flour I can put aside to buy a $400 Vitamix blender to make MORE almond and rice flour...LOL....

GW 150

wannablite
on 8/10/11 8:58 pm - Southern, NJ
 Too funny! I just use a quad blade Bravetti and it did a wonderful job. It's small & has a see through bowl so you know when it's all ground up. Also, I'm using whole blanched almonds so that may make a difference. Have fun!

Renfairewench
on 8/10/11 9:33 pm
I have a Cusinart food processor and I also have a cheapie blender. I'm going to try this first in the blender. I think that the food processor might not have enough blade edges. I'm just going to play around and see what happens. I'll use the rice first since rice is so much cheaper than almonds. Not to mention I don't have anything to use almond flour in right now anyway.

I think the biggest difference between whole and blanched almonds is that the flour is just darker with the whole almonds due to the skin on them.

What made me laugh most is that I really want a 6qt 600 pro series Kitchen Aid mixer. I have a 5 qt. lower end model that I have had for years, but lately I have been doubling and sometimes tripling recipes and that bogs down the motor or the bowl cannot hold as much as I want. The mixer I want on everythingkitchens.com I can get for $300 with a $50 rebate!  Now that to me is a GOOD DEAL!

GW 150

wannablite
on 8/11/11 10:01 am - Southern, NJ
 What are you using the rice flour for? Did you see the recipe I posted for muffins using almond flour? To me, they are delicious! I have one every day w/breakfast. Makes me feel like I'm having a real treat!

Keep bogging your 5 qt mixer down & you will own that 6 qt in no time! LOL I have had my Kitchen Aid for probably 30 years & it runs as good as the first day I used it. They are tough to kill so keep workin' at it!!

Renfairewench
on 8/11/11 1:05 pm
Erin, I do keep trying to kill my KitchenAid, but it's tough. I had one prior to this one that was my grandparents. I had it for about 15 years on top of the 40 years that they had it. The only reason I gave it up was because the motor casing was leaking oil and the repair person said that it was much too old to fix. I'm sure it would have worked for much longer if it could have been repaired. I told my husband today "imagine the number of confections I could make honey if I had TWO KitchenAid mixers!"  He rolled his eyes. .

As for the rice flour, I need a mear 1/2 cup of it to add to a shortbread cookie recipe. I am decorating the cookies with royal icing and I need a cookie with a bit more crunch and less melt in your mouth type. The rice flour makes the cookies a bit crunchier.

GW 150