finally switched....how do I thank you all?

kathie09
on 8/10/11 2:42 pm - not available
Dear DS family

I can't believe it. I was switched on Friday. My pain and emotions have been all over the place. I had my drains removed today (not something that I ever want to have done again, thank you) and I think I am turning a corner. I was in the hospital from Friday till Tuesday night.

I will list the bare minimum here, as I am really low on energy tonight.
1 - Dr Keshishian is perhaps the sweetest, most amazing doctor I've ever known. My husband regulates the licensing and such for all of the doctors and nurses in our home state. He is INCREDIBLY impressed with Dr K (that is hard to do) and we both feel like heaven sent him our way.
2 - I haven't been able to manage my pain. I had a morphine drip in the hospital, but I get terrible headaches from narcotics. So, I opted not to use it every time I had a headache (didn't want a migraine, and have to worry about throwing up, etc)
3- I am really hopeful that the pain will get better. I wasn't prepared for this part of it.....but still just so grateful that this surgery came my way that I'm not about to completely curse the discomfort
4 - I hope I never see chicken broth. Again. Ever.
5 - tomorrow I'm supposed to try introducing new foods. I am scared. the following items were suggested:
eggs, cheese, yogurt (should I get the Greek kind?) soups
6 - are there any DS'ers out there who had substantial pain after the first few days of surgery? I can't sit, stand, walk, without help. I am really weak, which I anticipated. Just kind of trying to figure out the pain thing. I want to make sure that I'm not ignoring a physical problem.

And finally.....I just don't know how to thank all of you. Your willingness to sit on these boards and counsel and caution and encourage has saved my life. I mean that. I would never have known how this was the only surgery for me, had it not been for all of you.

I'm so thankful for the education I received here. For the most part, I feel pretty informed. Late last night, while I was in a fit of pain, I actually thought through all of the possible problems and their symptoms. I would not have known any of those things without you.

So, I'm signing off for now. I am spending one more week in the sun in California, and then I will return home. I have limited access to the internet, as my husband is taking his laptop with him.

I just want you all to know that I feel your prayers, and your support, and your presence. I literally felt like I had a small invisible army behind me when I went into surgery on Friday. I went in alone - because my husband had to be with our children - and I couldn't believe that I didn't feel alone. Thanks for being such an amazing support system.

So, I will be sipping, walking, sleeping, sipping, walking, sleeping....and trying to eat somewhere in between. I have no interest in food, nor do I enjoy the discomfort that accompanies every bite I take. I know, this too shall pass

Sending you all so much love!!!
kathie09
Kathleen F.
on 8/10/11 3:31 pm
Congratulations on your surgery! Sound like you are doing well. The pain will subside a little more each day. Have you asked Dr. Keshishian for a pain med you can tolerate? Just to take the edge off?
(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 5:01 pm - Beverly, NJ
I appreciated the relief of Tylenol more than any of the other pain meds they had. Once I came home I used the percocet (liquid) sparingly.
As far as food, don't pu**** yet. Liquids FIRST. I would say your too early out for eggs. stick to broth and jello and soups.
A great early post-op guide to eating is Dina's blog.
http://livingthedslife.wordpress.com/ds-resources/eating/
Check out her links near the bottom for more specifics.
scoob
on 8/10/11 9:15 pm - Somerset, KY
So glad to hear you're switched! Welcome to the DarkSide! Sounds like you're doing great! Keep sipping, walk, rest repeat!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Julie R.
on 8/10/11 10:04 pm - Ludington, MI
 So glad to hear you are doing well.    The pain will get better, and quickly, especially if your surgery was done laparoscopically.    Some people have used pain patches, but I suspect that you are over the hump now.   I was sent home with a prescription for Trammadol, which might not give you the problems that the bigger guns have given you.    Also, good ol' liquid Tylenol could do the trick.    Even up to two weeks post op, sometimes the muscles in the abdominal area would get sore and achey, and a dose of that helped take the edge off.

As to food - I wanted cottage cheese, yogurt, egg salad, tuna salad, egg drop soup or mashed potatoes.   You don't need to worry so much about your protein right now, just your fluids, but try to get a protein shake in.    I have the best luck (still do) with Designer Whey.    Has a milder whey taste than many of the shakes and causes me the least gastro distress.

Good luck, and enjoy the rest of your time in California!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

teachmid
on 8/10/11 10:20 pm - OKC, OK
Congratulations, Kathie. It will get better.

I agree, Dr. K is awesome. And, I also agree, having the drains removed was awful!

I had trouble with pain management too, which resulted in my calling him for help and advice. I was on Tylenol #3 syrup and he had me add children's Motrin. That did the trick for me.

As for food, don't pu**** That first few weeks I ate a few bites of thin oatmeal, mashed potatoes, tomato soup with melted cheese (my favorite), Greek yogurt. I couldn't do eggs or retried beans.

Focus on fluids and walking and resting. These early weeks are tough, but it will get better.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 10:29 pm - Lancaster, OH
It's great to see your post!
So sorry about your pain issues.  Hoping that resolves itself quickly.  Unfortunately, I have no suggestions to offer, just hopeful thoughts.....
What Julie said.  This early out, don't worry so much about protein as about hydration (I know you know, I'm just repeating it anyway).
So glad that you are "on the bench" now.  Rest and heal.
MomToTeens
on 8/10/11 10:58 pm - OH
Congratulations Kathie!

I was revised from RNY to DS by Dr. K a bit over 3 weeks ago.  Be gentle with yourself and give it time.  I wasn't able to do soft foods for a couple of weeks, so if you're not ready, just get your fluids in, trying protein shakes or drinks as you can.

If you're having trouble managing the pain, call Dr. K and get his advice.  The pain will keep you from recovering well, so it's important.  The weakness and pain are very normal...you just had your insides re-arranged.  It will take some time.

I completely agree with you about Dr. Keshishian.  I absolutely love him.  He is easily the most compassionate physician I have ever been in contact with, bar none!

Hang in there...it gets better, I promise!

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

2bee.or.not2bee
on 8/10/11 11:27 pm
 Congratulatons! So glad to hear you are switched! I agree with the posting here. Please do try to get the pain under control. You will heal faster if you do. Your Doc should help you. I am so glad you had a good experience with your Doc. I did not and struggled because of it. I look forward to seeing your success posted here!
Hugs,
CC

Romans 8:28                                  VSG 1/23/10  DS 5/15/11

VSG weight = 143 kg  VSG low = 116 kg  DS weight = 141.5
sandy_mt
on 8/10/11 11:50 pm
 Congratulations Kathie!!

Sandy