Pre-op Lab Results

orangecrushed
on 8/10/11 12:19 am - Triad, NC
Hi all!
I got the results from my pre-op testing.  First, my chest x-ray showed "something" so I had to get a TB skin test.  I go today so that it can be 'read', but I don't see that the spot on my skin has changed any.  So, I feel sure that I'm TB-free! 

Also, I was told I'm severely Vitamin D deficient, so I'm getting a prescription for a supplement, and I'm supposed to take 3X the normal dose.  There was some discussion before about a Vitamin D injection you can get?  What exactly do I ask for?

My iron is way down, which I'm not surprised about.  I have pernicious anemia, and it's always an issue for me.  I have asked for an iron infusion, as there's no way for me to quickly get my iron up in a short period of time.

I guess the good part about getting these pre-op labs, is that you definitely find out if you have any underlying issues going on!  I'm looking forward to moving on to the next steps!  If anyone has any words of advice on how to quickly and safely raise my levels here, I'm all ears.  I don't have the full labs in front of me, but I'm hoping to pick them up this afternoon when I go in to get my skin test looked over.

Thanks!
Nic
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

Julie R.
on 8/10/11 4:39 am - Ludington, MI
 It's a good thing that you have a few months to get your D and iron up before your DS.    Dr. Stewart's office offers a D injection (and I think so does Dr. Keshesian's) and they have them compounded specifically for them.

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Elizabeth N.
on 8/10/11 4:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
Get Vitalady's Tender D3, 50K IU, and take two a day. D injection won't help much if at all and is hard to get unless you happen to have Dr. Stewart :-).

(I'm going to embark on the Great D Injection Project when I get back to NJ and will report on my progress. I'm not terribly optimistic cuz the docs are so clueless about it.)

Get iron infusions, multiple ones if necessary, and go into surgery with very excellent results on all possible iron related markers.

Did you get copies of the actual results of everything? Now would be the time to start your lab tracking spreadsheet, with the preop results. Get in the habit of not believing what the doc or other medical person tells you about "the results are okay." All that means, as we preach so much here, is that the lab didn't flag a result as out of range. VERY rare is the doc who actually looks at the numbers in the normal range and thinks about them.

I have an endo doc who does look at them, but is prone to shrug and say they're okay regardless unless I remind him I'm not normal and that I must think about trends and special things. (And he's a damned fine doc, too.) Time to learn to harp at the doctors ;-).

Kathleen F.
on 8/10/11 7:05 am
Good idea to get your vitamin D level up before surgery. According to this article, it was published in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery that a vitamin D deficiency before surgery could cause delay in recovery.
Band to DS
on 8/10/11 9:18 am, edited 2/3/12 10:32 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

orangecrushed
on 8/10/11 9:39 am - Triad, NC
Thanks everyone!  I didn't get a chance to pick my prescription up yet, but I'll post the dosage, etc when I do that... and compare to the Vitalady tabs.

I am getting my lab results mailed to me, so hopefully I'll get those very soon!  I'll definitely be posting those for feedback as well.  I want to go in there with the best possible levels.

I appreciate everyone's responses!!

Nic

vitalady
on 8/10/11 3:31 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
You can't compare the rx, which is D2, in oil to my water SOLUBLE D3.

They are not the same. D3 is triple the potency of D2, even tho their stated dose is 50,000 for each.

Pernicious anemia is B12 deficiency. IDA, that's iron deficiency anemia.

Looks like you need to get on the iron and B12 like the proverbial white on rice.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

orangecrushed
on 8/10/11 8:40 pm - Triad, NC
Ok, so it sounds like I definitely need to order some of the D3?  Do I take both, or just the D3?  Not sure about the difference in the two... if it's a different TYPE or just different potency?

In regards to the B12, I should've stated that I do receive monthly injects for that.  I'm ok there, just not in regards to my iron.  I always struggle.  I am taking an iron supplement... 3 pills a day.  I'm not sure that it's the 'best' supplement, however.

The amounts for TWO caps is:
Vitamin C (asorbic acid) 120 mg
Folic Acid 400 mcg
B12 200 mcg
Iron (as ferrous succinate) 50 mg
Liquid Liver Fractions (predigested and concentrated 500 mg
Clorophyll (fat soluble) 10mg

I know I'll need to switch after surgery to something else.  Not sure if this is the best iron supplement, but it's obviously not really cutting it at the moment.  So, the iron infusion will be really helpful, and then I need to start a different supplement to be able to keep my levels up.

Thanks so much for your help, I'm still in the learning stages with these supplements!

Nic

vitalady
on 8/11/11 5:40 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I can't tell you not to heed your doc's advice. I can only tell you how to use the product the most effective way.

The rx is in oil, which is not the best medium.

D2 must convert to D3 for our bodies to "see" it.

Not everyone converts efficiently. People who have ftty tissue on board; who've had most any stomach surgery; are passing 45-50 years old

So, you can take both, but if it means not feeding the family, weigh your options. The only one your body can "see" is the water soluble D3.

They are both 50,000

Lemme see: if you have a spiffy car that requires the best gasoline, but the lowest grade is cheaper, the car will cough along, but you have not solved your problem. You still have a car that needs gasoline, the kid it can use, not a substitute.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

orangecrushed
on 8/11/11 7:25 am - Triad, NC
Thanks again for the advice!  I ordered the D3 from your site, along with Tender Iron (60mg), and Tender Calcium Citrate.

I look forward to getting my full lab results in the mail to see what else I may need.  Also, I just want to say that I really like the new site!  I love the starter kits as well.  I'll be picking one up when I finally get my ins approval.

Nic

Recent Topics