Has anyone had their gallbladder removed after the DS?

Joanlaptods
on 8/9/11 8:02 pm

If so are there special considerations for us? How was your recovery? I have gallstones and a distended gallbladder and will soon have mine removed. Thanks
Joan

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

galla1
on 8/10/11 1:38 am
Hi,
I had mine taken out at the same time as my DS and I have not had any problems to this point my surgery was May 18th, 2011. My recovery was not bad at all.. acutally it almost seemed to good to be true.. good luck :)
krissywats
on 8/10/11 7:29 pm - Kew Gardens, NY
I had my DS over two years ago and had no issues with healing or weight loss.  I had my gallbladder out this last March and to be frank, it was way worse than having the DS.  I've had more issues getting used to the removal of the gallbladder with severe inexplicable pain/diarrhea/constipation/digestion issues.  However, I have learned that this is really individual.  Some people bounce right back from having their gallbladder removed and others really struggle.  I hope you are the former!

Otherwise, the only thing I know in regards to how we are different is you want to make sure they do the procedure where they clean out the little tube leading out of the gallbladder when they take it out. (I believe it's the common bile duct?)  It can occasionally have stones/sludge in there and for us, they can't do a scope through the mouth to clear it out if there is a problem after surgery.

Good luck.  I hope you have no issues at all!

7/19/09 - DS with Dr. Alfons Pomp
7/11/12 -  tummy tuck, UBL, larg lipo sculpting of torso, lipo of "buffalo hump" with Dr. Sauceda
Joanlaptods
on 8/10/11 10:48 pm
Hi Krissy
That was very helpful. Did you recover well from the surgery itself and then your problems began? I will mention the clearing of the duct to my surgeon. Did you have gallbladder pain before it was removed? Did you continue all your supplements  prior to the surgery?
Thanks
Joan

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

krissywats
on 8/12/11 1:38 am - Kew Gardens, NY
Hi Joan - I recovered well initially but I got the bird flu two weeks after surgery.  I would say this is a 'one off' but what I learned is that I really needed to up my zinc and protein prior to surgery.  You use your zinc stores in healing after surgery so to bump it up a bit will help your resistance stay up (I did not, I rode the subway two weeks after surgery - my first day out - and came down with the flu). 

I did take my vitamins up until the day before surgery and then started back up within a few days after.

I healed fine, but I made a really dumb mistake and didn't stay overnight at the hospital.  My surgeon said it was up to me and I was trying to be strong and just get home.....I really should have stayed.  The first night was pretty tough and I had a lot of trouble getting in enough liquid.

I needed a stool softener for at least a week after surgery, FYI.  I guess that isn't uncommon but it requires we get in even more water.

I did not have gallbladder attacks until AFTER surgery (it is not uncommon to have similar attacks for a while after surgery).  I had some weird pain and some gas pain that was almost in my pelvis and some odd bathroom symptoms.  A sonogram showed I had sludge - we caught it pretty early on me.

Good luck with everything!  Feel free to ask me anything!

7/11/12 -  tummy tuck, UBL, larg lipo sculpting of torso, lipo of "buffalo hump" with Dr. Sauceda
Joanlaptods
on 8/12/11 4:03 am

Thanks Krissy I really appreciate your responses.
I have about 10 days or so to lap chole so I will double my zinc and up my protein. I was thinking also of leaving hospital the same day so I may have to reconsider that. I plan to drive home (someone else driving)  about 2 days drive. How long after surgery do you think I would be ok for the trip home? My Hemoglobin is still a little low since my DS  Hb 112. Is there much bood loss? Did your Hb drop after this surgery?
Joan

krissywats
on 8/12/11 6:18 am - Kew Gardens, NY
My hemoglobin has always been fine so I can't speak to that, but if you have the option to stay overnight I would.  They are just better at being able to get you the water you need that first night and you can get it WHILE you're sleep and since I wanted to sleep a lot, I got dehydrated being on my own.  And dehydration just STINKS.  My surgeon said 'don't be a mayrtr, stay if you want' and I so wish I'd listened to him.

As far as a two day drive home.....gosh.  That's a tough one.  Maybe day three?

Recent Topics