What a ride

calendargirl
on 8/9/11 11:24 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

I love a happy ending!

And, Maddie, you're courage through it all and positive outlook is so inspiring.

Thanks for putting it all out there.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

Jennifer D.
on 8/9/11 11:27 am
Happy surgiversary Maddie, I am happy for you that the complications are in the past and only health and success for the future!
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 11:35 am - Yorktown, VA
I'm so glad to "hear" that you're doing well!  You had a rough time of it for awhile.  Congrats!  :)

If you don't mind me asking, what was done in December that helped turn things around?
Renfairewench
on 8/9/11 8:28 pm
Basically I had to have another partial gastrectomy.  I underwent another surgery to excise out and repair the gastric leak. While the surgeon was inside of me he discovered additional blind fistulas. One that went from my stomach to my colon, one that went to my small bowel which had to be resected and repaired. Other fistulas were tributary fistulas and were causing internal abscesses which had to be cut out. I had two external fistulas (fistulas that went from my stomach to the outside of my body) that were cut out as well. I ended up having a lot of strictures around the lower portion of my sleeved stomach that was causing poor blood flow to my lower stomach. I had strictures around my pyloric valve that was so tight that the tip of a pen could not have penetrated it, not to mention that the blood flow to said stricture was compromised. I had been throwing everything up that wasn't pudding consistency. In the end I lost another 2/3 of my stomach. I sadly lost my pyloric valve and had to go back to having a pouch. My intestines are still a DS configuration, however.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

ModestoK
on 8/10/11 3:49 am
Jimminy cricket!  I knew you had complications but didn't realize how very extensive they were.
I'm so glad you made it through it all and have come out the other side.   You are an amazing woman to have kept your attitude so positive through it all despite all your troubles.
Congradulations on your success and good luck with overcoming any regain.   

I also wanted to thank you for sharing your story.   Although you have had some horrid complications, I know I appreciated hearing about the possible downsides of the DS when I was considering my options.  You showed me that even if things do go wrong, complications can be handled with humor and grace rather than anger and bitterness.

Kim

P.S. - you look amazing!
                                      ~  Kim  ~

HW - 283        SW - 257.5     Goal - 156
Thanks to all the DS vets who have paid it forward - I <3 you guys!  
Looking for DS support & information?   Check out :     http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

Renfairewench
on 8/10/11 4:47 am
Thanks hon.  I had days where I was like, what the eff have I done??  Buyers remorse, but I choose to have surgery and so I took the risks. It could always be worse you know? I'm thankful that I'm better now and that I'm back to being "normal."  It really hasn't been that long, but it feels like my last operation was years ago. I can hardly believe I'm two years post op from my revision.  

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

kirmy
on 8/9/11 5:11 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Way to go Maddie! I'm so glad you've come out the other side of all your issues with the ability to still be happy with your choices.  That is the mark of a wise woman!!

Congrats on being faaabulous!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
scoob
on 8/9/11 9:34 pm - Somerset, KY
I have been in awe of you for the last 2 years! You are one strong woman and look at you now. Congrats, Maddie! You have really fought to be where you are and I applaud you for a job well done! Big hugs! Thanks for sticking around and sharing with us!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 11:03 pm
Happy surgiversary Maddie! So happy that all is going well for you!
Julie R.
on 8/10/11 1:50 am - Ludington, MI
 Maddie, you more than most anyone I know deserve to truly celebrate today!    You had us all rather worried for a while.    Your positive attitude and unwillingness to give up on what were the best options for you have led you out to the winning side.     Congratulations!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Recent Topics