when to return to the gym???

honeybadger 11
on 8/10/11 1:37 am - FL

I will be speaking with my surgeon about the best time to return to the gym but i wanted to get some insight as to when everyone else did and what they did when they returned to working out.

Im a gym girl, i love the elliptical and weight training so i will be happy to get some of this weight off so i can enjoy it more:)

I canceled my gym membership to save some money and im currently on a walking schedule which i hate and with it being summer its really is the pits! But i figured i will only be able to walk for several months after surgery so there is no since in wasting the money:)

Thanks for any input! jen

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

determineddanni
on 8/10/11 3:00 am
I was wondering this same question as  well! I am a gym junky! I played a lot of sports in high school and college, it's always stuck with me... to bad it never helped me lol But I do enjoy it so much! I can't wait to hear the responses!
Elizabeth N.
on 8/10/11 4:51 am - Burlington County, NJ
No bullriding till at least a year out :-D.

honeybadger 11
on 8/10/11 6:37 am - FL
HAHA! Your comment made me think of the video w big girl who gets talked into riding the bull and falls off 2 secs into it face first!!! Darn i really love riding my bull;)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

determineddanni
on 8/11/11 9:58 am
Not even the the 50 gallon drum bull up in the bar?! But its soooo tempting hahahaha
Elizabeth N.
on 8/11/11 10:09 am - Burlington County, NJ
Nope. You wanna fart in the middle of a bull ride?

Hmmm. I wonder how much one could make one's batwings flap on one of those things......

determineddanni
on 8/11/11 12:17 pm
omg! hehehe i would put money on ya!
Emily F.
on 8/10/11 3:59 am
I was told walk as much as was comfortable. Elliptical and weights at least 6 weeks and I was open incision. I did not feel like exercising until 3 months and then I did gym pretty hard core. It definitely helps contour your body as you lose weight. I feel like I'm happier with my body even with the extra skin bc I work out.

but be VERY VERY VERY careful. It is waaaay better to go extra slow than to hurt something. It was major major major surgery. Do not do anything crazy.
Janet P.
on 8/10/11 4:36 am
My surgeon had me wait 4 months before I could start any gym-related activities. Walking is fine early out but anything kind of weight training should wait until your insides are completely healed. I've seen others who were cleared as early as 4-6 weeks, which IMHO is too soon after MAJOR surgery.

Once I got the go-ahead, I was in the gym 4-5 times a week, working with a personal training twice a week. It was awesome and I believe really helped keep me on track -- never hit a plateau for the first 100 pounds. 

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Julie R.
on 8/10/11 4:37 am - Ludington, MI
 I was lap, and my doctor gave me no restrictions.....he wanted me to walk as much as possible.    When I asked him at my two week check-up if I had any physical restrictions, he smiled and said "No skydiving."    I started going to Curves at about four weeks out, because I thought it would be less strenuous, but it quickly became too easy for me.    
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Recent Topics