Trying to pay it forward even before surgery!

beth-28
on 8/9/11 10:49 am
I went to a support group meeting last night (required to go to at least one). I started talking to a very pleasant lady who was sitting beside me, and we mentioned what surgeries we were trying to get. When she told me she was getting the RNY to get rid of her diabetes, I immediately wrote down this website, the DS Facts site and gave her my e-mail! 

I told her about the DS being the best surgery for putting diabetes into remission long term, and I hope that she follows through. I in no way denigrated the RNY, but I did tell her that they were performing the DS on non-obese diabetics in Europe, so I hope it intrigued her enough for her to do more research.

Like me, she hadn't heard about the DS when she started looking into WLS and thought her best choice was the RNY, and it may be...for her. But now she knows there are more options out there. So, I'm spreading the word and trying to pay it forward, even before I get my surgery.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/9/11 3:51 pm
Kaiser forces their bariatric patients to take 12 weeks of classes (at least Southern CA Kaiser does this). That means they expect me to attend 12 classes that even THEY admit don't have anything to do with the DS.  I'm fighting it through the California Dept of Manage Health Care, but that's another story.

Today I learned that I'll be attending my first class on Friday. My plan is to do what you did! I won't push the surgery, but I'll definitely give any information regarding diabetes (which I have) and pass around the website name and URL.

So, we'll both be paying it forward ahead of schedule!
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 4:17 pm - San Jose, CA
You two are trying to win your toasters so soon!  Don't you know you shouldn't be eating white carbs for a while??
beth-28
on 8/10/11 5:59 am
But Diana, even if we can't use the toaster, we can polish the shiney sides of it and use it like a mirror to look at our soon-to-be changing figures! I can ask my hubby, "Honey, does this toaster make my butt look big??"
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Recent Topics