cravings during honeymoon period

fluffy_me
on 8/8/11 7:58 am
i am CRAVING crisps (potato chips) like crazyyy!!! 

it's only been 5 weeks since the operation - i have a packet of crisp once a week - 27 carbs and no protein - can i get a way with that? i've lost 33 pounds so far - i'm afraid if i keeping eating crisps every week it'll ruin my weight loss.

i know that i'll loose the most weight during the honeymoon period - but at this stage can i eat a 'normal' amount of carbs as long as i get my protein in?

MarciRenee
on 8/8/11 8:33 am - IA
If you are going to eat the potato chips - then use them as a "vehicle" for protein.  Don't just eat them naked - load them up with chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad, bean dip, etc - things that DO have protein in them.

You should not be eating them in place of protein on a regular basis.  Am I going to tell you that I've never had empty carbs?  HELL NO - and neither is anyone else who is being honest about it.  We all allow ourselves treats from time to time - and that is a GOOD thing.  Depriving yourself didn't work out so well for your whole life this far, did it?  Well it probably isn't going to work now either.

Ok I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANY go hog wild and eat solely carbs.  I am saying it is ok, from time to time, to indulge in a craving.  I find that one I do, it usually goes away.  And if you can find a way to sneak in protein with said carb craving, all the better!

So yes eat the chips if you want them but find something to eat them WITH that IS protein.
Marci       
fluffy_me
on 8/8/11 8:50 am
okk - i got my crips and i'm having it with a slice of cheese which has 6g of protein.

just double checked the crips - it has 13 carbs and 1g of protein - a very slight improvement.

thank you:)
Elizabeth N.
on 8/9/11 3:56 am - Burlington County, NJ
There ya go! :-)

AllieInOntario
on 8/8/11 9:51 am
Marci!  I love you!  Chips with protein... now I really WON'T feel guilty!
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

MarciRenee
on 8/8/11 10:05 am - IA
Well if you're gonna eat them anyway - might was well USE them :)

And seriously - a few chips here and there are NOT going to "break" your DS!]

And I no longer allow myself to feel guilty for my food choices.  Food is just food = not good or bad, it just is.  I also don't allow myself to eat a carb-centric diet either.  I follow the DS rules of eating mostly all the time and thus don't allow myself to feel guilty when I choose to have chips, chocolate, or ice cream (or whatever).  That whole guilt for eating and the cycle that it creates and perpetuates did NOTHING to help me lose weight before my DS and only helped me feel worse about myself.  SO I say FUCK the guilt.
Marci       
zuzupetals2u2
on 8/8/11 8:51 am - Sedona, AZ
for me it was Chitos and I would have a few and I did it pretty regularly for awhile in small amounts but I really felt it helped my sanity as when I had no simple carbs at all I was very aggravated and  pent up. Eventually I got over it. It didn't seem to slow me down much if any but I know it helped me cope and I dont regret it. I know the low carb diets I stayed on letter perfect for long periods did do damage as when I did cave it I couldnt stop as I felt I had been so deprived for so long. If I allow myself a little here & there I dont feel deprived and it is more liveable. SOme of those things too become just not worth it when you experience gas from them a few times. It is almost like the DS has built in behavior modification sometimes.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

butercup
on 8/8/11 2:33 pm - Kennewick, WA
I bought a tub of fage and put ranch dip mix in it and scooped it up. Good.
Crazeru
on 8/9/11 3:43 am
If it's just something crunchy that you are wanting, make cheese crisps.  Microwave or bake shredded cheese and it'll be crispy and crunchy and all protein.  If you need your crisps melt cheese on them and make nachos.  Creativity adding protein to carbs.  I use cheese slices quartered as chips for tuna/egg/chicken salad.  You're doing great, but if you can curb the carbs until goal, it's better.  A little treat now and again won't break your DS, but too much sugar could bring out the sugar **** and she's very difficult to get rid of. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Elizabeth N.
on 8/9/11 3:54 am - Burlington County, NJ
The best rule to follow right now is to NEVER eat carbs without protein attached. So use the chips as a dipper for something loaded with protein, or have cheese with them, or something like that.

Eating carbs creates carb cravings. For some people it quickly becomes a miserable vicious circle. So beware of the patterns you set for yourself. You might get away with it just fine and you might not. This is why I'm saying that the pattern really needs to ALWAYS include protein, at least for now.

Recent Topics